Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Training an old dog >

Training an old dog

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Training an old dog

Old 12-24-2015, 04:45 AM
  #11  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,922
Default

There's a reason Powerbelty remains #1 after multiple decades. There's no need to say anything more, for if they didn't work, they wouldn't be #1 / #10, or probably still in business.

Last December I sold my last CVA sidelock to a pawn shop for $45. Bass Pro had a massive sale on this ML around 2003 for something like $39.95.

I got choked-up when handing over the ML to the Pawn Shop owner. For that cheapest out-of-of-pocket and cheapest quality ML was the most accurate ML I ever owned.

I began toying with Powerbelts last month..... got them for 90 cents a-piece. Using the bigger ones-only..... 405s and 348s. Put a fiber-wad behind them and 70-80gr of Blackhorn delivers superb accuracy. The soft pine tree imprints are no worse than with my SSTs, XTPs and Expander sabots. I plan on using 348 copper HPs and 405 lead HPs next hunting season.

We don't need el-primos to harvest deer.
Triple Se7en is offline  
Old 12-24-2015, 06:19 AM
  #12  
Dominant Buck
 
Champlain Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: On an Island in Vermont
Posts: 22,605
Default

I am fairly new to posting on this forum but have been a HNI fan for a while now. I just want to say this forum is really something special due to the diversity of posters and the level of knowledge. I thought before reading some of the posts on here that I had enough knowledge about MLing to be pretty good. I wasn't even close and probably never will be. A small amount of knowledge taught me that I still didn't know anything. Happy Holidays to all of you guys.
Champlain Islander is offline  
Old 12-24-2015, 06:24 AM
  #13  
Boone & Crockett
Thread Starter
 
bronko22000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 12,746
Default

Originally Posted by Grouse45
PA didn't even have a Flintlock season until 1974 or 75. But I can't remember the year when we didn't need to use round balls??
You're right Grouse. But I was shooting a .45 cal T/C Hawken flintlock long before that and even had a couple deer under my belt before they started a special season. Actually it started out as a percussion but I bought a breech plug tool and a flintlock breech and flintlock and changed it over. I wish I had that tool now. I'd love to swap out my .58 and change it to a flinter.
It was funny when I'd see other hunters. most would look at the flinter and then look at me like I had two heads. But some would be curious and start asking about it.
As for the bore butter getting hard in the cold - it didn't matter to me. I only used it after cleaning my ML. I would throw the tube in the bucket of hot water to soften it up while I swabbed the bore. For patches I used the prelubed Ox Yoke patches. .015" I believe.

Last edited by bronko22000; 12-24-2015 at 06:30 AM.
bronko22000 is offline  
Old 12-24-2015, 06:43 AM
  #14  
Giant Nontypical
 
Muley Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,557
Default

Originally Posted by Semisane
Getting back on topic - as with Bronko
How did we go off topic? He mentioned using bore butter that he doesn't use now.
Muley Hunter is offline  
Old 12-24-2015, 06:45 AM
  #15  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,092
Default

ah aint neva lernt edited by JW as he might be learning now! frum ne o u'enz.

Last edited by JW; 12-25-2015 at 08:49 AM. Reason: going around word filter Rule 1
Underclocked is offline  
Old 12-24-2015, 06:46 AM
  #16  
Giant Nontypical
 
Muley Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,557
Default

Originally Posted by bronko22000
You're right Grouse. But I was shooting a .45 cal T/C Hawken flintlock long before that and even had a couple deer under my belt before they started a special season. Actually it started out as a percussion but I bought a breech plug tool and a flintlock breech and flintlock and changed it over. I wish I had that tool now. I'd love to swap out my .58 and change it to a flinter.
It was funny when I'd see other hunters. most would look at the flinter and then look at me like I had two heads. But some would be curious and start asking about it.
As for the bore butter getting hard in the cold - it didn't matter to me. I only used it after cleaning my ML. I would throw the tube in the bucket of hot water to soften it up while I swabbed the bore. For patches I used the prelubed Ox Yoke patches. .015" I believe.
Ox Yoke is bore butter. Bore butter is the name TC gave it. Same stuff.
Muley Hunter is offline  
Old 12-24-2015, 06:48 AM
  #17  
Giant Nontypical
 
Muley Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,557
Default

Originally Posted by Underclocked
ah aint neva lernt edited by JW frum ne o u'enz.
We're still teaching you how to spell.

Last edited by JW; 12-25-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Muley Hunter is offline  
Old 12-24-2015, 08:46 AM
  #18  
Boone & Crockett
Thread Starter
 
bronko22000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 12,746
Default

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Ox Yoke is bore butter. Bore butter is the name TC gave it. Same stuff.
Yeah - what did they call it? Natural Lube or something like that.
OH and another way I used it was melted with a bit of bees wax to lube my home cast maxi-balls.
I still have a tube of the pine scent (green tube) laying around.

Last edited by bronko22000; 12-24-2015 at 08:49 AM.
bronko22000 is offline  
Old 12-24-2015, 08:56 AM
  #19  
Giant Nontypical
 
Muley Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,557
Default

I believe TC used to sell a bore butter lube made for conicals. Probably just had some beeswax added. I only saw it once in a gun shop.
Muley Hunter is offline  
Old 12-25-2015, 07:22 AM
  #20  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 861
Default

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
There's a reason Powerbelty remains #1 after multiple decades. There's no need to say anything more, for if they didn't work, they wouldn't be #1 / #10, or probably still in business.

Last December I sold my last CVA sidelock to a pawn shop for $45. Bass Pro had a massive sale on this ML around 2003 for something like $39.95.

I got choked-up when handing over the ML to the Pawn Shop owner. For that cheapest out-of-of-pocket and cheapest quality ML was the most accurate ML I ever owned.

I began toying with Powerbelts last month..... got them for 90 cents a-piece. Using the bigger ones-only..... 405s and 348s. Put a fiber-wad behind them and 70-80gr of Blackhorn delivers superb accuracy. The soft pine tree imprints are no worse than with my SSTs, XTPs and Expander sabots. I plan on using 348 copper HPs and 405 lead HPs next hunting season.

We don't need el-primos to harvest deer.

Number 1 at what? Sales? I'm sure McDonald's is number one in hamburger sales but that doesn't mean anything in terms of quality. Lol
chaded is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.