Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I don't wanna know what bullet you use. >

I don't wanna know what bullet you use.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I don't wanna know what bullet you use.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I don't wanna know what bullet you use.

I want to know what you consider good enough for hunting.

Are you happy with tracking an animal 100 yards? Are you happy with the animal being alive kicking when you walk up to it? What do you consider acceptable performance on game?

My expectations are higher then most. So I need to hear some other opinions on this. I'm testing some new bullets I'm not happy with. But others might be.

Again, please do not mention any bullet types. It will turn right back into name calling and the in mature posters will post again.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I need at least a 2" group at my shooting distance, and have it hit where i'm looking for hunting.

In other words. I need to hit within 2" of the center of the kill zone, or I won't use the load.

I have no problem tracking a shot animal. If I put the bullet where it belongs, then tracking is part of hunting.

I prefer a pass through, but I don't always get it.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 12-13-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grouse45

Are you happy with tracking an animal 100 yards? Are you happy with the animal being alive kicking when you walk up to it? What do you consider acceptable performance on game?

My expectations are higher then most. So I need to hear some other opinions on this. I'm testing some new bullets I'm not happy with. But others might be.

Again, please do not mention any bullet types. It will turn right back into name calling and the in mature posters will post again.
Perfectly good with tracking.its one of the best SKILLS a hunter needs to improve on as the years go by.

No fool proof bullet out there period. It all comes down patience practice and skill.Only you can determine your limitations.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

1) No. However I've harvested enough to know that it happens.
2) No.
3) Assuming you're asking for bullet performance, a complete pass through with the projectile fully expanding and functioning as designed. The projectile must be 100% dependable and reliable.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I strive for full penetration from any angle I shoot from. Do I get it? Well most of the time. My Lee 501-440-RF bullets are paper patched and sized to fit the barrels of my guns. I have only found two bullets. One was a cow elk that was punched through the shoulder and I found the bullet in the hip. For me that was not disappointing to find the bullet. It had done it's job. I also found one on a deer my son shot this year. It hit back by the hip and went forward lodging under the neck skin. Again I was not disappointed since the deer was DRT.

I strive for sub 2" groups at 100 yards. I don't like to track but when I have to I want blood coming out of both sides of the animal. Again I want full penetration.

I hold my 45 to the same standards. That one is a 409 gr paper patched RCBS 11mm rifle bullet.

On both bullets I have customized my hardness so I get the best results on both paper and game. These two bullets have piled up a lot of game for me and the guys that have used them. I don't care about the rainbow trajectory since my peep sights are adjustable and I hold dead on for any shot that I take.

For me these bullets are not just good enough, they are in my opinion perfect.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Read the title again.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The reason he didn't want bullet types mentioned is due to product loyalty and fights that come from that. Mine are not off the shelf bullets and can not be purchased so no one here but me is loyal to the brand.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

100 yard accuracy around 2 inches, hits like a freight train with only 110gr equiv of t7 , has a weight around 260 grains and rhymes with Fosler.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Heart sized groups at 100 yards

Two holes 90% of the time

Reliable expansion 100% of the time

2/3 or better weight retention for cup and core bullets. Monolithic types must perform as designed every time.

If the animal is not dead by the time ive waited a few minutes and climbed down from my stand, either me or the bullet did not achieve the kill i wanted.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Heart sized groups at 100 yards

Two holes 90% of the time

Reliable expansion 100% of the time

2/3 or better weight retention for cup and core bullets. Monolithic types must perform as designed every time.

If the animal is not dead by the time ive waited a few minutes and climbed down from my stand, either me or the bullet did not achieve the kill i wanted.
Perfect Scott - and I can attest to the fact on occasions - I need to track - I hate it because I have become so accustomed to fact with the right bullet placement and the right bullet - I do not need to look for an animal.

This weekend a low shot and the stamina of an elk caused me some problems. Given if I could have put the bullet exactly where I wanted it the results would have been totally different. Not always do the best laid plans work the way they are suppose to. There can always be some uncontrolled circumstances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.