HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I don't wanna know what bullet you use.
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 09:19 AM
idahoron
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I want to know what you consider good enough for hunting.

Are you happy with tracking an animal 100 yards? Are you happy with the animal being alive kicking when you walk up to it? What do you consider acceptable performance on game?

My expectations are higher then most. So I need to hear some other opinions on this. I'm testing some new bullets I'm not happy with. But others might be.

Again, please do not mention any bullet types. It will turn right back into name calling and the in mature posters will post again.
I strive for full penetration from any angle I shoot from. Do I get it? Well most of the time. My Lee 501-440-RF bullets are paper patched and sized to fit the barrels of my guns. I have only found two bullets. One was a cow elk that was punched through the shoulder and I found the bullet in the hip. For me that was not disappointing to find the bullet. It had done it's job. I also found one on a deer my son shot this year. It hit back by the hip and went forward lodging under the neck skin. Again I was not disappointed since the deer was DRT.

I strive for sub 2" groups at 100 yards. I don't like to track but when I have to I want blood coming out of both sides of the animal. Again I want full penetration.

I hold my 45 to the same standards. That one is a 409 gr paper patched RCBS 11mm rifle bullet.

On both bullets I have customized my hardness so I get the best results on both paper and game. These two bullets have piled up a lot of game for me and the guys that have used them. I don't care about the rainbow trajectory since my peep sights are adjustable and I hold dead on for any shot that I take.

For me these bullets are not just good enough, they are in my opinion perfect.