Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I don't wanna know what bullet you use. >

I don't wanna know what bullet you use.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I don't wanna know what bullet you use.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

I have shot mostly copper jacketed, lead core bullets. I shoot a lot, probably 15-20 range sessions each year and have always figured premium bullets were too expensive because I want to hunt with what I shoot.

After 10 years or so of doing the above, I'm changing my mind. I now think one should practice with XTP's or the like ( practice is very important ) and then switch to a premium bullet for the hunt. Hunting shots are too hard to come by and I think there' a significant difference with some of the bullets available.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Josmund
I have shot mostly copper jacketed, lead core bullets. I shoot a lot, probably 15-20 range sessions each year and have always figured premium bullets were too expensive because I want to hunt with what I shoot.

After 10 years or so of doing the above, I'm changing my mind. I now think one should practice with XTP's or the like ( practice is very important ) and then switch to a premium bullet for the hunt. Hunting shots are too hard to come by and I think there' a significant difference with some of the bullets available.
Awesome!!!! Yes, if people could learn as easy as you😉👍
Old 12-13-2015, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
. Not always do the best laid plans work the way they are suppose to. There can always be some uncontrolled circumstances.
Most don't understand that Mike. But how true it is.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Josmund

I've always practiced with the same bullet I hunt with, regardless the price and yes, a thousand or more rounds get expensive each year. But if you love shooting and what you're doing, its not such a steep price to pay.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:58 AM
Banned

I couldnt shoot just one bullet,that would get boring.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

The only deer I had to track this year was shot with a .30-06! The ML kills were DRT or within 15yds. The '06 kill still ran 50-60yds shot through both lungs, no blood trail at first, an upon skinning him you could stick your fist through the hole in his ribs. They are tough animals...
Old 12-13-2015, 12:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by toytruck
The only deer I had to track this year was shot with a .30-06! The ML kills were DRT or within 15yds. The '06 kill still ran 50-60yds shot through both lungs, no blood trail at first, an upon skinning him you could stick your fist through the hole in his ribs. They are tough animals...
How True!!! found that out this week!
Old 12-13-2015, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
I couldnt shoot just one bullet,that would get boring.
Shooting should never get boring if you love shooting. It won't when you try to shoot better today than you did yesterday and better tomorrow than today, even with the same bullet or rifle. To many would rather "experiment" than to try and perfect their own confidence, sadly.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would like to think I really do shoot a lot in a year! but I know as compared to some others I really do not. I can suggest to you that I shoot 8-10 jugs of T7 in any given year.

And I do shoot a lot of different bullets in range session with many different amounts of powder. Really with the rifles I am shooting nothing changes much on the other end no matter which bullet, sabot, or powder load.

I very seldom shoot the bullet that I hunt with (I can not afford it + all the other things I want ) until it comes to hunting season then I will go out and verify load and 'POI'

I am not a perfectionist when it comes to group sizes. I could shoot a bullet(s) for hunting that are more accurate than I hunt with but I much prefer shooting a bullet with the best 'Terminal Performance'. Currently I shoot a variety of bullets that I can almost shoot blindfolded and get 1 1/2 to 2" groups at a 100.

I really believe the more shooting you do the more prepared you are to shoot!
Old 12-13-2015, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by toytruck
That's why I have to chuckle when guys want a DRT every time. It's not possible unless you hunt with a bazooka.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.