Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I don't wanna know what bullet you use. >

I don't wanna know what bullet you use.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I don't wanna know what bullet you use.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
That's why I have to chuckle when guys want a DRT every time. It's not possible unless you hunt with a bazooka.
I know and I agree but I have become so accustomed to that type of performance 95+% of the time - I expect it all the time - but reality struck this weed end! First time in a long long time
Old 12-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Dominant Buck

What I want: The bullet I shoot I want complete confidence in my ability to be accurate with it at range I am confident I am make. I want to know it will penetrate through the vital organs and even better, out the other side. But I want damage to major critical organs. I want to know that it will expand a little. After all most of them are almost 1/2 inch to begin with. So I know the hole through the body will be enough to get the job done. And I want the animals and bullets I hunt with to know that if the shot is not do-able, I will not take it.

While I consider myself an excellent tracker, I don't want to track. But if I have to, then I do it.

Last edited by cayugad; 12-13-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I know and I agree but I have become so accustomed to that type of performance 95+% of the time - I expect it all the time - but reality struck this weed end! First time in a long long time
I wasn't thinking of you when I posted it. Don't take it personally, but I hardly ever read hunting/range reports. So, I didn't know about your hunt.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
................I really believe the more shooting you do the more prepared you are to shoot!
Have to agree completely and without hesitation on that. I call it building confidence.

I'm on my 4th CASE this year.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Have to agree completely and without hesitation on that. I call it building confidence.

I'm on my 4th CASE this year.
Must be nice to have the money and the time to shoot that much!
Old 12-13-2015, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

i want a gun that puts the bullet where it is pointed. i want a bullet/ball that expands reliably. Could care less if the bullet exits. Nothing beats close range shots.

My shots are picked very carefully. This afternoon i deer hunted with my .50 caliber TC New Englander. Weather was overcast and sometimes drizzly. About sunset i passed on a big doe at about 65 yards because my sight picture was not right. Would have been a slam dunk with a scoped rifle.

i have numerous types of muzzleloader bullets. Those that i have tried worked out very well except for that awful 300 grain TC PTX bullet that did not expand when driven by 150 grains of 777.

Many of those bullets will soon go away; i'm back to basics.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Heart sized groups at 100 yards

Two holes 90% of the time

Reliable expansion 100% of the time

2/3 or better weight retention for cup and core bullets. Monolithic types must perform as designed every time.

If the animal is not dead by the time ive waited a few minutes and climbed down from my stand, either me or the bullet did not achieve the kill i wanted.
This outlines what I believe is best.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Heart sized groups at 100 yards

Two holes 90% of the time

Reliable expansion 100% of the time

2/3 or better weight retention for cup and core bullets. Monolithic types must perform as designed every time.

If the animal is not dead by the time ive waited a few minutes and climbed down from my stand, either me or the bullet did not achieve the kill i wanted.
That about sums up my thoughts too.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Obviously some bullets are not designed to expand such as hardcast. I would consider them a monolithic of sorts. They usually perform as designed.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:24 AM
Typical Buck

the bullets i use group @ 1" @100 yrds no i don't like tracking usually don't have to but if i do i usually find them with in 100 yrds & 99% of the time there drt but did have one kick for about a minute once& i expect & do receive complete pass thrus & inners are like jelly. i practice with what i hunt with & i shoot a couple hundred dollars a year on powder,bullets & targets. you don't practice with a vw @ the drag strip! makes sense to me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.