Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-20-2015, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Yep, six shooters firing 12 shots without a reload! Marshal Dillion always being faster on the draw even though he made molasses look quick! Fanning a Colt with 1 inch grouping at 50 yards! (that one always gave me a good giggle) Bullets sparking when they hit a car. Cars blowing up when you shoot them in the gas tank! No wonder the majority of Americans know so little about firearms. Hollywood has their heads so full of stupid it would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
You could tell Arness and company were getting sloppy w/Gunsmoke near the end, as Arness would no longer tie that hogleg down. As for the rest of Hollywood, you got to love Chuck Norris shooting the bad guys Blazer w/a moly-coated X- bullet and blowing the hood off in the process.(That's just Chuck, tuff)
Old 12-20-2015, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Matt Dillion has been shot a few times in a draw. It should have been more, but then the series wouldn't have lasted 20 years.

I'm a sucker for Gunsmoke. I've watched every rerun about 5-6 times. It's on at supper time, so I always watch it while eating.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by OldBob47
rafsob,

I'll answer this post anyway. Yes, our forefathers harvested, and probably wounded, much game with the PRB. Likewise, the Native Americans with the arms available to them did the same thing. Google "Megafauna Extinctions". You know what? The Native Americans couldn't afford nostalgia, since they needed arms not only to hunt, but to defend themselves from the murderous savages who had invaded the continent. So, whenever they got the chance to upgrade, they did, going to smoothbore arms, then rifled arms, then to repeaters. I just seriously doubt that they sat around the campfire bemoaning the abandonment of the bow and arrow and the spear.

At some point, I think we have to ask ourselves if our slavish devotion to some aspect of outdated technology is diminishing our sport, and ourselves. It's a conversation we need to have, realizing that people may disagree on the answer. Better to disagree than to avoid the question.

OldBob
?????????????????????????? Man, what were you smoking when you wrote this?????
Old 12-20-2015, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rafsob
?????????????????????????? Man, what were you smoking when you wrote this?????

It seems like he wants everybody to use a CF rifle with a scope. Otherwise, we'd be living in the past with any muzzleloader.

I guess we don't need a muzzy, or bow season anymore.

You seen my box of .338 magnums?
Old 12-20-2015, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The Lewis & Clark expedition learned the hard way that their prb was inadequate for killing Grizzly.

I believe this is a fact.

Me, i have no experience with prb, and have no opinion of prb. I don't believe i am knocking a bullet choice, but i do believe i am ignorant. What i wrote may not be relevant, or nice, but i couldn't find the fishing section.
So you admit you have no experience with this subject, but find it necessary to poke me with a sarcastic sharp stick! Thanks.

If you are trying to lighten up this subject, it didn't work sir!!!
Old 12-20-2015, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
It seems like he wants everybody to use a CF rifle with a scope. Otherwise, we'd be living in the past with any muzzleloader.

I guess we don't need a muzzy, or bow season anymore.

You seen my box of .338 magnums?
It would be guys like this that get in the wrong job like the department head of a state game division. I hate it when people try to shove their philosophies on others.

Why use a .338 Win Mag when you can us a Barrett .50 for all your hunting pleasures!!!
Old 12-20-2015, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rafsob

Why use a .338 Win Mag when you can us a Barrett .50 for all your hunting pleasures!!!
Yes, of course. What was I thinking?
Old 12-20-2015, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Apparently OldBob doesn't realize that some of our muzzleloaders will not shoot "modern" jacketed bullets accurately. And modern centerfire rifles delivering enormous amounts of energy are not necessary. It's all about bullet (or ball) placement.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

He has every right to shoot what he wants and so do you. Not sure why you guys argue about your rights?? He has his opinions and so do you guys.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah but Grouse, having and expressing an opinion is one thing. Calling all hunters that use a PRB unethical is another thing entirely. He needs to step away from the soapbox he has risen himself upon before he gets knocked off of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.