Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-19-2015, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thought you were hunting the muzzy season here? With that bullet you can use hot loads. I was talking about using a PRB with lighter loads.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Yep and you can pretty easily tell what's residue and what is actually unburnt powder. Quality of the powder also has a LOT to do with that as well.
The grade too. 2F with show more unburned than 3F.

No matter what you use. It won't all burn. Even with the long barreled Kentucky rifles.

It's why BP is not that powerful. I'm not saying anything you don't know already.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I thought you were hunting the muzzy season here? With that bullet you can use hot loads. I was talking about using a PRB with lighter loads.
I'm getting my Flintlock ready for PA hunting.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah no powder burns every kernel. Even my Swiss (best dang RBP on the market in my opinion) will have some kernels blow out. But you get my point. What is going to burn is usually burnt by 9 or so inches in a barrel.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

That reminds me about Hollywood. You're right about black powder burning fast. Getting back to Hollywood. You know how in westerns they always make a trail of black powder to a keg of powder. They light the powder, and you see it burning slowly along the trail of powder to the keg, and the keg blows up.

The problem is you know they were talking about black powder by the timeline. Black powder wouldn't do that. It would burn so fast it would just be a long flash, and the guy would blow himself up.

What they use in the movies to make it burn slow is smokeless powder. Not even invented yet.

Hollywood...you got to love them.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Hollywood...you got to love them.
Yep...they sure aren't using black in those scenes. Course they do a lot of things that are amazing.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by quigleysharps4570
Yep...they sure aren't using black in those scenes. Course they do a lot of things that are amazing.
Yep, six shooters firing 12 shots without a reload! Marshal Dillion always being faster on the draw even though he made molasses look quick! Fanning a Colt with 1 inch grouping at 50 yards! (that one always gave me a good giggle) Bullets sparking when they hit a car. Cars blowing up when you shoot them in the gas tank! No wonder the majority of Americans know so little about firearms. Hollywood has their heads so full of stupid it would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:39 AM
Fork Horn

Yep...the list could be very, very long.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:49 AM
Dominant Buck

On a rainy day between seasons...love the old westerns. I especially like those 12 shots in a 6 shooter with that 13th being the gun thrown at the enemy.
I think the point was well taken that every form of gun equipment has limits. Recognizing those limits coupled with the shooters abilities and knowledge means ethical hunting.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-20-2015 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:58 AM
Fork Horn

Riding full gallop in the dark they can out shoot me from x-sticks in the daylight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.