Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-21-2015, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Grouse what you're saying may be true but there is no practical way for a hunting situation to in a given caliber to go from 100 gr to 200 grain. Now if we take a .50 cal (.490) PRB and compare it to a 370 gr Maxiball using the same powder charge there is no comparison. The Maxi will win hands down in the energy dept but it will be moving slower. Its just simple physics. (same energy (charge), different weight = different velocity).
The question arises is when with that energy be expended. Will all of be spent in the animal or will it pass through?
I just use 100 and 200grn for an easy example.

As far as pass through would depend on what bullet you are using?? With Bloodlines they will pass through with out a doubt. But all other bullets like you've seen in Rons testing????
Old 12-21-2015, 04:48 PM
Banned

Default Tough pigs!

Originally Posted by falcon
Several years ago i took a long time hunter friend hog hunting for the first time. We were in a blind overlooking 160 acres of wheat. Told where to shoot hogs but he argued with me.

He shot a 250 pound hog square in the guts with a .300 Winchester Magnum. The hog ran about 300 yards into a thicket. We bounced it out of the thicket and he gut shot it again. Finally he shot the hog in the head.

The guy wanted me to field dress his hog. Told him to field dress the animal under instruction. He retched and gagged the whole time while in green slime up to his elbows.
falcon,

I have never hunted pigs, so my opinion on this might not be useful, but pigs are tough! The only pigs I've known have been pet pigs. This does give you a chance to get up close to them. They're friendly little guys, You go to pet one, and you find out that a healthy pig ain't all that fat. Its more like petting a bowling ball! Very solid little guys. I think if I wanted to hunt them, I'd use a bigger gun.

A long, long time ago, a bunch of us used to go to an abandoned quarry maybe in February, when the rock face had a thick coat of ice. We would shoot at the ice for the fun of it. No handgun had much effect, and the .300 wasn't all that much. The .375 was in an entirely different league. Huge chunks of ice, in one case a piece about a yard square, were knocked off the face. It would have been comical if someone had taken a video of us running to get out of the path of that monster!

Bottom line? Bullet mass makes an enormous effect in terminal performance. Obviously I lean more to the momentum side of the equation. It doesn't sound like your hunting companion would have done any better with a .600 Nitro. Me, I'd have taken a bigger gun, though.

OldBob
Old 12-21-2015, 04:49 PM
Banned

thats funny because next month i plan on hunting hogs with falcon, using my 58cal patched ball shooter.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:12 PM
Banned

Default Beautiful

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Naw! I don't take pictures, or even own a camera. I'd rather just be there, and rarely show what i'm doing. I did this time to help Bob understand. Not sure it helped.

These are available, because of the ghost town. I just wanted to show the area, and these pictures are better than trying to describe it.
Pete,

Thanks, I do understand. Heaven is where the people aren't. I lived in Denver for 6 months in 1969. One time we helped two old ladies get in some of their winter firewood. The location was a bit west of Denver. I had pictures of the area where the railroad trains ran through tunnels in the mountains, I lost the pictures a few years later to a flood. Loved the area, and wanted to move back. No joy. The jobs that were available to me were in dungheaps like Chicago, Philly, you get the idea. Colorado will always have a place in my heart.

Little off-topic tip. I took some projectile bags and treated them with mink oil. I let them dry thoroughly, and gave them to friends to use as muzzle covers, to keep the rain out when you're woods walking. Now, I bought mine, but if your being truely authentic, you should use a Buffalo scrotum. Gotta be quick, though.

OldBob
Old 12-21-2015, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll pass on the buffalo scrotum. Some elk hide sounds easier.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:23 PM
Banned

Default horsesense

Pete,

I've never been around mules, but I have been around horses. Here's a tip: the horse will almost always do what you want them to do, but not necessarily when. Sometimes you have to give them some time to be a horse, then they'll buckle down and get to work. They love fig newtons, too, and those are a little easier for an old horse with bad or missing teeth. Always make a little noise, talk, sing, when approaching a horse feeding in a stall. The natural shape of their ears blocks their hearing when they're feeding, head down, in a stall. Don't startle the 1000# animal.

OldBob
Old 12-21-2015, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
mountain man my rear end, I've never once read about a one eyed mountain man! Not even after a grizzly attack!

You need to move to florida and become a pirate

Ha!! Never say never.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by OldBob47
Pete,

I've never been around mules, but I have been around horses. Here's a tip: the horse will almost always do what you want them to do, but not necessarily when. Sometimes you have to give them some time to be a horse, then they'll buckle down and get to work. They love fig newtons, too, and those are a little easier for an old horse with bad or missing teeth. Always make a little noise, talk, sing, when approaching a horse feeding in a stall. The natural shape of their ears blocks their hearing when they're feeding, head down, in a stall. Don't startle the 1000# animal.

OldBob
I've owned a mule before Bob. They're much tougher than a horse.

This is Fred. He's gone now.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:49 PM
Banned

a REAL mountain man Pete, not some old guy dressing up. No mountain man had a gut like that in the real day LOL. The guy I did some trading with last year at ronnyvoo snickered and said he'd stock normal size clothing but it seems the mountain men get bigger each year and size of clothing he brings in, increases
Old 12-21-2015, 05:58 PM
Banned

Default People are talking!

Originally Posted by rafsob
Where I come from we don't talk down to people. It is considered being not nice. And as far as personal attacks, you seem to be the only one doing that.

I'm a bow hunter and will only shoot my arrows inside 35 yds. I have not tried to hunt with my sidelocks using a PRB. But if I did, I would more then likely use the same ethic as bow hunting and not try taking a long distance shot.

As a new guy it would be good advice to sit down and listen more to the conversation and what is being said, then jumping in there and attacking the way some people hunt and with what they use to do it with. If you don't like to hunt PRB, great, use what you like and have fun. If not then try keeping your ideas to yourself and hunt your way and be happy!

If you took this advice to heart maybe the others wouldn't be talking about you and your trying to press your ideas about how bad it is using PRB's! Ideas and thoughts are great, but a lot of folks don't take it kindly when their way of hunting is attacked!!!!!

Not trying to make this look like a personal attack but some friendly advice from an old guy!!

Shoot straight and have fun in the woods! Merry Christmas my friend.
rafsob,

Its good that people are talking, about me, or about anything. Maybe they'll crack the books that some on this forum seem to despise, and read all the things that I have been quoting. I didn't make this stuff up on my own. Its not my opinion, its scientific fact.

I don't know if you follow politics, but I think Trump is handing the Presidency to Clinton on a silver platter. There's a certain group that support Trump, and they'll push him through to win the Republican nomination. But he's such a wack job, I don't see how he could ever win the general. Plus, his antics only serve to energize the Democratic base. People don't come out in hoards to vote for a candidate; they come out to defeat the other side's candidate. Trump is that kind of candidate. So we end up with Hillary Clinton as Pres. That's scary. PBR might become part of history not because of my aversion to them, but because they're made out of lead. Did you see where the U.S. Army is spending mucho dinero to perfect a lead free combat bullet? I think civilan use of lead will be curtailed. The only arguement I have heard against this scenario is that it would be illegal for Clinton to do such a thing. Really? You expect her to start obeying laws? I can't figure why she is not in jail right now! And as the story goes, the Federal EPA doesn't have jurisdiction over what are state laws. OK, but how does this prevent her from doing an end run and issuing an executive order banning future use of lead in sporting ammunition?

The best thing you can do is volunteer to work for the candidate who best represents your values. Any campaign can find useful work for anyone who can demonstrate respiration. Get ready, this is the fourth quarter!

I wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

OldBob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.