Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
This Could Have Turned Out Bad >

This Could Have Turned Out Bad

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

This Could Have Turned Out Bad

Old 12-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
I wonder if my deer at 223 and 234 with a triumph and shockwaves were unethical ❓, or my antelope at 307 with my knight and a lehigh ,❓ or my deer at 176 and 219 with open sights ❓ actually the most unethical in some peoples eyes would have to be the 515 yard shot , Yes 515 with a muzzleloader and it equaled dead deer .

Uhhh SS, did you not note the "You have MANY people out there attempting shots at ranges they have never practiced for and have 0 capabilities at" part of what I posted? You practice more than most and many of your MLers are custom mods and you are more than capable of making those shots. Whereas myself, with my equipment, it would be unethical for me to attempt anything over 200 yards. I know my own limitations as well as my equipment and stay well within the boundaries of both. Now, if I had me one of them fancy dancy swinglock smokeless capable .45's or the .416 and practiced with them out to longer ranges such as 400+ yards then I would consider that being ethical as well as legal for myself. See where I was going with that? Clear it up for ya?
Old 12-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Banned

Default Dixie Gun

Originally Posted by Semisane
The logic escapes me OldBob. Do you really think a 20 gauge fowler would be a better choice (more lethal?) or a more acceptable choice (more ethical?) than something like a .50 or .54 iron sighted rifle? If shot placement is key, isn't the rifle more accurate than the smoothie, and don't the sights on a rifle make shot placement more sure than a fowler which has no rear sight?
Semisane,
Many years ago I experimented with roundballs out of cartridge shotguns. You could order simple molds from Dixie in 0.001" increments, to customize the fit. My groups out of both gauges, smoothbore, were 2-2.5". Cast out of wheelweights, the balls would penetrate about 4" lengthwise into dry oak. This may not sound like much, but I was never able to come up with any load for the .45 ACP that would penetrate a 2" rough cut oak board. So, yes, I was confident that my shotgun loads would work, given a 50 yard maximum shot. I never did shoot a deer or anything else with either one.
As to the rear sight, I'm not all that up on these modern inventions. The 20 had no rear sight, but shot as well as the scoped 12. I think Mossberg's kids model 20 gauge pump could be very useful.

OldBob
Old 12-01-2015, 03:29 PM
Banned

Default Not unethical

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
I wonder if my deer at 223 and 234 with a triumph and shockwaves were unethical ❓, or my antelope at 307 with my knight and a lehigh ,❓ or my deer at 176 and 219 with open sights ❓ actually the most unethical in some peoples eyes would have to be the 515 yard shot , Yes 515 with a muzzleloader and it equaled dead deer .

I'd bet you practiced this before you shot at game. I wouldn't know how to sight for a 515 yard shot, myself, and even the sportiest loads out of a ML would have quite the downward arc at that range, and even a pointy bullet is not immune to wind drift. I'd probably pass on that with any gun, let alone a ML. The farthest I ever shot a deer was 350 yards, with a .375 H&H with a 270 gr Hornady. This was 35 years ago. Wish I hadn't let that rifle go.

OldBob