Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Black Powder or modern substitute? >

Black Powder or modern substitute?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Powder or modern substitute?

Old 10-17-2003, 10:59 AM

Default Black Powder or modern substitute?

I have only been around this forum for a little while, but it seems to me that most people prefer pyrodex, clean shot, or triple 7 instead of black powder. Is that because modern ml' s perform better with these modern powders or these powders are just easier to locate than black powder?
Old 10-17-2003, 03:49 PM

Default RE: Black Powder or modern substitute?

ill use black powder in my hawkins it works well for me I think most guys think it is a lot messier with black powder. I also shoot a T/C encore and I use pyrodex with it I think it shoots better and I can load it quicker. good luck Practice and be SAFE!!!!!
Old 10-17-2003, 07:19 PM
Dominant Buck

I really like black powder but my problem is I have to drive almost 80 miles to get it. If you order it on line the problem is you pay a hazard fee in a lot of cases, and many companies refuse to ship it unless you have a FFL.

And I will admit that black powder is a mess to clean. When I started shooting these things, there was nothing but black powder. When pyrodex came along we thought the smoke spirits were smiling on us. Now there is Triple Se7en and some rifles even shoot smokeless powder. This sport as many will tell you has grown leaps and bounds in the past years with many States introducing a black powder season.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

i shoot a T/C .50 cal hawkins.....with black powder, fff for the barrel, ffff for the pan......i' m pretty lucky i guess i have a small sporting good store 4 miles from me that carries black powder......as to clean up, i have a plastic pail that holds about 2 1/2 gal. i take a gallon of hot water from the sink, just let it run untill it' s too hot to keep your hand under it......i fill the an old spring water jug up and put it in the plastic pail......with the touch hole under the hot water i then run a cleaning patch on the jag up and down untill i feel the barrel get warm at the muzzle end of the barrel......as you do this you will see the powder come out of the barrel as a black stream of water in the pail......when you don' t see the black coming out of the touch hole the black powder is gone......i then take the barrel out of the water dry the water off the outside and put it down for a little bit to let the barrel dry from the hot water which will dry because of it being hot....with the barrel muzzle end down i spray WD-40 in the touch hole untill a little bit comes out of the muzzle.....then hang the barrel muzzle end down over night, then check next day with a flashlight to see if any rust shows up which it doesn' t.....then run a dry patch through it once and i' m done.....grease my touch hole plug and reassemble the gun and it will stay that way untill the next time you shoot it.......bob