Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The most amazing shot on game >

The most amazing shot on game

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The most amazing shot on game

Old 10-29-2015, 12:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default The most amazing shot on game

Ok you braggers. Here is the question. With a muzzle loader ... What was the most amazing shot you ever made on a game animal. And please give details. A good story is always fun to read. So lets hear them.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK here goes. A few winters ago during PAs flintlock season my buddy was doing a push for me. He was up on the ridge and he busted 3 deer. I saw them coming through the woods down the mountain on the snow covered ground. They came down the opposite side of a rise where I lost sight of them. My bud broke the ridge and I saw him flop down and a few seconds later saw the puff of smoke and then heard the shot. I was well off to his left and he knew exactly where I was. About a min or 2 later one of the deer came trotting out in front of me. It turned and started walking straight away. I was tracking it with my T/C Hawken .50 flinter, the set trigger already pulled. Waiting for her to turn one way or the other. At about 60 yards I realized she wasn't going to turn broadside. She was standing there looking in the direction my friend was facing directly away from me. I set the bead just below the base of the tail and touched off the shot. In the cold January air there was a big cloud of smoke. Once it cleared she was laying right there stone dead. When I went up to her I couldn't find a bullet hole. Not until I opened her up did I realize I had given her a .50 R.E.A.L. bullet suppository that made a total mess of her insides.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've never had what I would consider an amazing shot with a muzzle loading rifle.

But every now and then I manage to hit a streaking dove with my Pedersoli 12GA double caplock shotgun. If you ever saw me wing shooting you would know just how amazing that is.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wanted to see if the petals would come off on a 200grn Bloodline at 400 yards inside a Whitetail. So in Ohio I put out some corn and something else I don't remember and shot a Doe at a laser verified 405 yards. When I shot I thought I missed it just stood there. Then all of a sudden it dropped. Walked up and it was dead, no kicking or anything. Skinned the Deerand sure enough I found the petals inside the chest cavity.

I also shot a Turkey at 375 yards with someone else's ML in Crossville Tennessee. Maybe 275 yards??? Lol, I don't remember
Old 10-29-2015, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I remember not seeing a grapevine outside my blind when I shot at a buck, ranged at 110yds. The vine was almost 3/4" in diameter, cut it completely in half and still killed the buck.

Now I have to tell the story of a buddy who pulled off an amazing (damn lucky) shot on a doe. Story starts before the hunting season when we were sighting in the rifles at his dad's house. When we were done, a woodchuck appeared and his dad wanted that thing gone. My buddy loaded up his muzz (MK85) quickly and went to take the shot. Just as he raised his rifle and had it barely on his shoulder, the knuckle head already had the safety off and touched the trigger. Needless to say, the scope came back and "touched" his nose, enough to break it...... his nose!
Our season opened about 3 weeks later. Because I had to many does hanging around and permits were given out daily, we hunted the morning for bucks only. With no opportunities and the plan to meet up at the round bales around noon, we sat there eating lunch when we spotted a couple does coming towards us. The buddy inched forward to the next bale, had the rifle over the top of it and I thought he was going to take the lead doe. All of a sudden and for some reason not known at the time, he turned and looked at me then when he turned back, his rifle went off and he fell backwards holding his NOSE! Yup the nose he'd broken just a couple weeks prior, was busted again, with blood flying all over the place. I was about to die laughing, when he told me that he didn't think it was funny at all. I told him I wasn't just laughing at his broken (again) nose, I was laughing at the entire situation. He killed the doe and hit it directly in the nose.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kinda with Semisane on this. My ML shots are all pretty boring, broadsides or good quartering angles. Not to say my heart is not pumping or anything when they appear out of nowhere, but I don't have any cool running or long distance shots.

Last edited by hubby11; 11-04-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I've never had what I would consider an amazing shot with a muzzle loading rifle.
Same here Semi...

Never made an amazing shot with any muzzleloader but I've had a few times when I thought it was amazing that mine went off in some horrible weather conditions!

BPS
Old 10-29-2015, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it was 1997. I drew a coveted buck tag for the most popular place in Idaho. That summer I saw a buck that I definitely wanted. I practiced with my 54 caL bk92 and was good with it.
On opening day I dropped my buddy off on one side of the ridge 5 miles away. Then I headed up after my buck I saw three months before. I aw the buck at daylight and made my way to get a shot. It was about 11:00 am when I got to a spot 150 yards and could not get any closer. The buck was backed into a crevasse in the rock ledge. All of a sudden a bovine cow smelled me and busted out and ran to the buck. I panicked and got a good rest. The buck got up and I took a neck shot. The buck went down but got back up. I reloaded and he ran right at me. Mule deer Stot. It means to bounce up and down. At the shot at 40 yards the buck was coming down as I was going up. I missed with the bullet and hit him with the sabot. I reloaded and got a rest as he ran down the ravine and back up the other side. Now he was at 200 yards and I knew where it would hit. He stopped and looked back in the tall brush. Boom down he went. I knew at the shot that the buck of a lifetime just hit the dirt. I was so nervous I reloaded and got ready to shoot again. When I found him I marked the area with orange tape to make sure I didn't lose him. I brought my dog back to give him experience in tracking a deer (that came in handy over the years) and a friend to help me pack it out. The most amazing thing about the shot was after I saw his antlers I was able to even shoot.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:11 PM
Banned

40 yard head shot on a nice 4x4 mulie at 40 yards. It was my first ever and only flintlock animal ive shot.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron...

Don't know about you, but I probably would have pooped myself over that one!!

MD54...

Why the head shot? Were you intentionally trying to conserve meat or was it an "accident" when you flinched?... LOL!

BPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.