Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The most amazing shot on game >

The most amazing shot on game

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The most amazing shot on game

Old 11-01-2015, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by idahoron
I have another story but it is not a muzzleloader hunt. Please forgive me but I would like to tell this story about my Uncle Jim.

My uncle was in WWII he was a sub vet and came back with what many would call PTSD. He went on to be a successful farmer and business man. He was a Hunter down deep and was so every day of his life.
I didn't get to know him until my Mom and Dad died. He was 82 in 2005 when we became acquainted. We were best friends right off the bat. In 2010 He told me he wanted to hunt elk again one last time. I was honored he asked me to help him.

The next year I put him in for a elk hunt that I knew I would get him into some elk. But he didn't draw. I was sure that was it for that chance. Then I got a call from a rancher. He told me he had heard I was trying to get an elk tag for a WWII vet. I said yes I am. He said it would be an honor for me to give him my cow tag. Oh boy it was on!!!

A huge herd of elk lived in the area I was planning to hunt. The problem was they are mostly bulls on winter range. This hunt was in December and Uncle Jim was 88 years old. We had to be able to go out and come back home at night. He was having some health issues so we were all worried.

I took him out to sight in his rifle. He has macular degeneration and he has a hard time seeing. But if you turn the magnification WAY up it shrinks the black spot in the center of the eye sight. So the scope that was always set to 3 power was set to 9 and he could see pretty well.

He showed up at the house and we spent the night talking about WWII. He has loosened up a lot in the last few years and I am getting more stories. We turned in way too late, we would have to leave early to make the 4 hour drive into the desert on a two track road.

Shortly after daylight I found a herd of elk.

Every one of them was a bull.

Bull after bull we saw more and more bulls. We counted 83 bulls and I think Uncle Jim was not believing me. Then just before dark I found the big bunch. There was over 300 head in one herd.

We made our way to them with the truck. He had a permit to shoot from the truck. He had never shot an animal from the seat of a truck. I am sure it was somewhat a disappointment that his health was poor enough he had to but his desire for his last elk made him. We were stunned at all the elk he saw. He had never seen a herd bigger than about 20 animals. I don't think he had ever seen that many elk in a day in his whole life.
I was able to get the truck to a spot and parked it. The elk spooked and were heading out. The problem was I had them pinned between a steep canyon wall and the truck. They had to pass the truck, and a rifleman with a pre 64 winchester 270.

He asked me which one to take. it was tough to tell him they were packed together. I said the last one is a cow wait for her.
I was looking through the binoculars when the roar of the Winchester filled my ears. The cow was running hard. Something happened that I never expected. My eyes get teary as I heard the Winchester roar, then she roared again. The cow was down! I could not believe what had just happened. My frail old Uncle, my hero, the man I had always looked up to as being the best hunter my dad said had ever lived, just killed an elk in front of me. She was on the run!

Damn you got her uncle Jim!!!!

I drove him up to her. The first order of business was to tag her, Then I wanted pictures. I wish I would have had time to spend more time taking pictures. But I had told my family to come looking if we were not home by 9:00pm. We were going to be late. I would have to gut and load this elk by my self. He was not strong enough to help much. So I got to work and got her broke down and loaded. We got to phone range and I was able to make sure they knew I was coming in with him, and an elk. My Aunt was stunned. His Daughter was stunned. I was stunned!

The next day we all got together and boned her out and cut and wrapped. If we left her hang she would have frozen. It was late in the afternoon when I got done. I was pooped. I told My Aunt the story and I teared up again when I recalled to her the sound of the Winchester.

The Winchester had given an old man the strength to take his last elk. The old Winchester in the hands of the rifleman. I can barely write this now 4 years later. He said it was the funnest elk hunt he had ever had in his life. He said he thought was was foolin him about the bulls.

In his prime he guided many of my cousins to their first elk in the wilderness of Central Idaho. I always wanted to be invited but never was. The reason was we didn't know each other. He told me he regretted not getting the chance to take me to the "camp". But he enjoyed me guiding him.

I went to see him today 10-31-2015. My son and I had to hold him up a little to get a picture. He has been in the hospital several days this year. I have slept in his room and in my camper in the parking lot of the hospital. My uncle Jim is dying and at 92 he is still clinging on to life. Earlier this year he had a stroke. The Nurse asked him Jim, do you know why your here? He said I guess I lost my grip on life. How profound is that statement?
I didn't get to spend as much time fishing this year as I have before. I didn't spend as much time hunting. But the time I have spent with him has been priceless. I took him some deer and Antelope meat today. We took pictures and told stories. This story was one of them. Thank you for reading it. As I finish I can hear the Winchester.

Awesome, thanks for sharing!!
Old 11-01-2015, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Idahoron's stories deserve an A
Old 11-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks It took me a while to get it all the words down. After seeing him I felt that I needed to get it done.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

In 1985 i drew an antelope tag for the birch creek area.Id bought a used thompson 50 and had shot it a lot .Idecided i would use it with the 176 gr ball. I pulled the trailer up but was so excited i couldn't sleep.At four thirty i said enough! I got my stuff and headed for the eight mile road. Almost there a monster buck and three does ran acrost the road in front of me.I parked the truck right there and waited for light.I finally saw them a half mile away and started to circle them.They had beded down so i was on my hands and knees.At abought eighty yards he heard me and stood up,as i took aim the sun came over the hill and icouldnt decide how far away he was so iheld half way up on his ears as he was head on and fired.At the shot he dropped like a rock,and i patted my self on the back for a fine shot.Asi walked to the dead buck he started moving istarted trying to reload i dropped powder and balls all over.He got up shakeing his head and wobbled off still shakeing his head .Iyelled at him and he turned around to seewhat i was Iwas loaded again and shakeing and at the shot i saw hair flyas ishaved him down the side.He ran down the ridge still shakeing his head Ithought he was gone.He picked up another ridge that brought him witin about 150 yards of me from ridge to ridge ,i put my stuff down and when he stopped i held over him and shot.I remember seeing the smoke blow away and the buck watching me when the ball hit him.Hejust stood there and slowly went down in the front end and rolled over.Ill never forget that sight! At home his horns measured 17 and 17 1/4.Bye the way one horn has the impression of a 176 gr fifty caliber round ball.A hunt that will always bring a smile
Old 11-02-2015, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know if this would qualify as an amazing shot but in 1984 I went on a primitive weapons hunt at Piedmont National Wildlife Refuge in central Georgia. I was using a CVA Big Bore mountain, 54 caliber cap lock rifle. I had it loaded with 120grs of GOEX ffg and a .530 round ball and a polypatch. I walked into a pine thicket in the dark and about 120 yards from the road I could smell muscadines and stopped and hung my old homemade Baker style climbing stand on a pine tree. It was starting to get daylight by the time I was settled in on my stand. At 8:00 I saw a doe walking through the trees and she stopped broadsided to me. I placed the sights behind her right shoulder and squeezed the trigger. She ran in a half circle and crashed within about 10 yards from an old logging road that I didn't even know was there. I walked to the spot where she had been standing when I shot her and paced off 85 yards. That is the longest shot that I have ever made on a deer with any kind of gun. Most of my shots average about 30 yards. O was able to pull my truck down the logging road and load my deer with ease.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great post Ron!
Old 11-03-2015, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shot a buck at 150 yards in the mountains that was walking down in the valley below. My only shot was to wait for him to appear between two trees that were about 3 inches apart and about 50 yards away from me. I put the crosshairs between the trees in a sitting position and as soon as I saw his nose I lowered my crosshairs to where his shoulder would appear. When it did I aimed just behind and let it go. The way he ran off made me think I missed.

I waited about 30 minutes to start down the mountain but by that time my buddy made his way over to me. He told me to stay where I was and he would go down and I could direct him. I told him put a piece of orange tape on those trees I shot through and that if there was a blood trail it would line up with me and the gap in the trees. He said, "You shot between those two??"

When he got down there he quickly motioned for me to come down. He pointed to a blood trail Stevie Wonder could follow. Opened him up and had a perfect heart shot.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
OK here goes. A few winters ago during PAs flintlock season my buddy was doing a push for me. He was up on the ridge and he busted 3 deer. I saw them coming through the woods down the mountain on the snow covered ground. They came down the opposite side of a rise where I lost sight of them. My bud broke the ridge and I saw him flop down and a few seconds later saw the puff of smoke and then heard the shot. I was well off to his left and he knew exactly where I was. About a min or 2 later one of the deer came trotting out in front of me. It turned and started walking straight away. I was tracking it with my T/C Hawken .50 flinter, the set trigger already pulled. Waiting for her to turn one way or the other. At about 60 yards I realized she wasn't going to turn broadside. She was standing there looking in the direction my friend was facing directly away from me. I set the bead just below the base of the tail and touched off the shot. In the cold January air there was a big cloud of smoke. Once it cleared she was laying right there stone dead. When I went up to her I couldn't find a bullet hole. Not until I opened her up did I realize I had given her a .50 R.E.A.L. bullet suppository that made a total mess of her insides.
That's called a "Texas Heart Shot" LOL
Old 11-03-2015, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Touching Story Ron.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

Like Flounder said "Touching Story"!! Glad to hear you were able to make it happen for him and you were able to hunt with him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.