Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Too many muzzies

Old 10-29-2015, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

I'm actually right handed but Left Eye Dominant. SIGH In some ways I wish PA would allow us to use Percussion caps during the late ML season. Even though I love shooting my Flintlock Lyman Deerstalker. If they did, then I may be able to get away with shooting a right handed ML left handed??? I won't try that with a Flint.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by edmehlig
I'm actually right handed but Left Eye Dominant. SIGH In some ways I wish PA would allow us to use Percussion caps during the late ML season. Even though I love shooting my Flintlock Lyman Deerstalker. If they did, then I may be able to get away with shooting a right handed ML left handed??? I won't try that with a Flint.
ed...

Just get some good quality shooting glasses you're comfortable with and have at it. I'm naturally right handed and was right eye dominant all my life until I lost my vision (progressively) in my right eye due to glaucoma. I've been shooting my right hand rifles left handed for years now.

OK bronko, Cayugad, Semi,... will one of you fellas please tell me how many muzzleloaders is too many? I'm up to 23 now and I still keep my eye out (the left one...LOL) for good deals on more!

BPS
Old 10-29-2015, 07:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm stumped BPS. Is that a trick question?

(I haven't even told you guys about my two most recent acquisitions.)
Old 10-29-2015, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I'm stumped BPS. Is that a trick question?

(I haven't even told you guys about my two most recent acquisitions.)
Why you ol' swamp rattler!!...You mean you've picked up a couple more since the Enfield and the Hatfield?

BPS
Old 10-30-2015, 04:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Why you ol' swamp rattler!!...You mean you've picked up a couple more since the Enfield and the Hatfield?

BPS
Could not help it BPS. They were all from the same seller and the price was not to be passed up. Plus, one is a gun I'd never seen before and the other is a very traditional looking maple stocked Hawken by an unknown builder in .58 caliber.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Could not help it BPS. They were all from the same seller and the price was not to be passed up. Plus, one is a gun I'd never seen before and the other is a very traditional looking maple stocked Hawken by an unknown builder in .58 caliber.

I'll bet you're still far-short of Cayugad's inventory.
The four MLs you recently purchased is one more than I have in my entire ownership.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure you can ever have too many. That goes for guns in general.

That said, I don't have a huge collection at all compared to some, but do have about all I need right now...got every "want" covered except a roundball shooting .58, and a small cal ML rifle - both of which are distant wants, more in the "someday I may have one" category. If I was retired like some of you, my collection would likely grow as I'd have more time to tinker.

Its all personal preference really, and if you are in to shooting alot, or just hunting. For me, the first 20yrs I ML hunted I got along just fine with 1 ML ... I was a hunter only. Then about 5yrs ago I got bit with the bug

Ironically, I'll be out tomorrow morning for the opener with my 'ol faithful - a 22yr old mk.

Oh, and Bronko...that was a fine deed you done! I hope your friend puts her to good use!
Old 10-30-2015, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I am sure that anything over four MLs is too many for me. Our muzzleloader season is 10 days and I generally hunt the two Saturdays and the two Sundays. Unless I'm a collector (which I'm not), it makes no sense have more than what I can use in the woods.

I am not a person that buys a ML to just target shoot with. I am not a person that leaves any MLs at home in my gun safe every year. All my centerfires (2) and muzzleloaders guns (3) are shot during hunting season. Otherwise I see no sense in buying more than I can use during muzzleloader season.

I usually hunt around eight of the 15 day centerfire rifle hunting season. But I'm not buying eight centerfires to bring a different one into the woods every day. The drive to my hunting spot is 180 miles and I depend on someone else for housing there.

If my hunting partner ever quits the sport or dies someday, I'll have two centerfires collecting dust in my gun safe from inactivity.

So does that mean I can never have too many centerfires too? Our country is never under siege - or at any civil war. A vast majority of our country's adult population owns 1-2 rifles and a pistol....... that's it. I find it ridiculous to ever own more than several-combined of centerfires, shotguns, MLs and pistols. Seven is the number I own and my friends and neighbors think I have too many.

This is a gun board where hoarding, buying/selling and collecting exists. But then there's the other 95% of the population that owns 2-3........ total.

I may get my arsenal to 9 someday. I want another pistol (9mm or .38)..... want that 4th ML someday too..... probably a 45-cal in 1:20 twist.

No.... I'm not debating this subject. I'm done here.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
Well I am sure that anything over four MLs is too many for me. Our muzzleloader season is 10 days and I generally hunt the two Saturdays and the two Sundays. Unless I'm a collector (which I'm not), it makes no sense have more than what I can use in the woods.

I am not a person that buys a ML to just target shoot with. I am not a person that leaves any MLs at home in my gun safe every year. All my centerfires (2) and muzzleloaders guns (3) are shot during hunting season. Otherwise I see no sense in buying more than I can use during muzzleloader season.

I usually hunt around eight of the 15 day centerfire rifle hunting season. But I'm not buying eight centerfires to bring a different one into the woods every day. The drive to my hunting spot is 180 miles and I depend on someone else for housing there.

If my hunting partner ever quits the sport or dies someday, I'll have two centerfires collecting dust in my gun safe from inactivity.

So does that mean I can never have too many centerfires too? Our country is never under siege - or at any civil war. A vast majority of our country's adult population owns 1-2 rifles and a pistol....... that's it. I find it ridiculous to ever own more than several-combined of centerfires, shotguns, MLs and pistols. Seven is the number I own and my friends and neighbors think I have too many.

This is a gun board where hoarding, buying/selling and collecting exists. But then there's the other 95% of the population that owns 2-3........ total.

I may get my arsenal to 9 someday. I want another pistol (9mm or .38)..... want that 4th ML someday too..... probably a 45-cal in 1:20 twist.

No.... I'm not debating this subject. I'm done here.
Well that's your opinion and you are more than entitled to it. What you find ridiculous I personally find enjoyment in the ownership of many many firearms. Some are wall hangers that really wouldn't be safe to fire but they have historic value and some are, even though not safe to shoot, still beautiful pieces. Is that ridiculous? I personally don't think so. I have a few that are from the 1800's and while they are safe to shoot, I don't. Well MOST of them I don't Hard to deny myself the pleasure of an old Colt sometimes I also have a hell of a lot of modern rifles, shotguns, and handguns. I don't use each and every one of them during a season but I do find uses for them and have them on hand when I find the need for them. Firearms are both tools as well as some being art. I have a shop FULL of tools that I don't use every day. Some I only use once in a couple of years. Is it foolish to own those tools? Nope.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
I find it ridiculous to ever own more than several-combined of centerfires, shotguns, MLs and pistols.
Doesn't surprise me a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.