Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Good 1X Scope?

Old 10-28-2015, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

How's the light gathering on that vortex? In low light the big blocky sights and fiber optics on my Accura are annoying.

I was looking at the Leupold 1x with the etched/illuminated reticle. It's more of a tactical scope but I like Leupold glass.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't really answer your question; never have been hunting with this scope, nor have i used it in low light. However i would imagine looking through this scope in low light, and aiming at a critter, would be better than looking at a rear sight, a front sight, and a critter, and trying to get them all aligned. During daylight, when looking through the scope, it seems bright. Can't really answer your question.....

All my magnifying scopes, are Leupold. The Vortex guarantee is equal to Leupold guarantee when one reads them.

While using my old 1X scope for years, i never really made friends with it; i have already made friends with this scope. However, our friendship hasn't been tested, whilst hunting in adverse conditions.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

This evening after sunset, the new 1X scope was given a look. Twenty minutes after, from a dark dining room in the house, i could throw the rifle up, and sight on various objects from 25 yard, to 65 yard out. About thirty minutes after sunset, it was quite dark, but i think i counted coups on a deer about 55 yard out. It was very hard for me to see where to aim on the deer, but it was quite easy to see the cross hair, whilst inside the dark dining area. It should be mentioned the big window has needed washing for a year now.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL, Your wife don't do windows either huh Ron!
Old 10-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know this is pricy, but I love my aimpoint pro.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/514...le-mount-matte

2 MOA dot and a true 1x. So only covers 4" at 200 yards (which would be my absolute max). Also, you can shoot with both eyes open comfortably. Fully adjustable dot that can be set for bright daylight or twilight. Currently on my AR, but when I get picked for Utah, it will be on my muzzy.

Last edited by txhunter58; 10-29-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

. i was useing a traditions 1x on my whites 50 today.i was shooting at 25 yards to get it on paper.using my 450 500s.w. paper patched bullets . i got it where i wanted it ,took one more shot before going out to a hundred and its four inches high.next one two inches high and left.i think the scope is toast must not like big bullets.think ill look at the vortex tomorrow
Old 10-29-2015, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info ronlaughlin!

I see now that Utah is considering allowing magnifying scopes so I will hold off on buying a scope for my muzzy for a bit.

Deepcreek, if you haven't already done this, check your bases/rings before you give up on the scope.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

HNI i did check the rings/bases no such luck . I ordered the vortex today be here on the sixth. I wish idaho would think about letting us use magnifying scopes.it would help us blind guys.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by deepcreek View Post
HNI i did check the rings/bases no such luck . I ordered the vortex today be here on the sixth. I wish idaho would think about letting us use magnifying scopes.it would help us blind guys.
I would appreciate it if Idaho would even allow a 1X scope and even any full bore conical.