Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Score one for the Lil' Lady >

Score one for the Lil' Lady

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Score one for the Lil' Lady

Old 10-24-2015, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Score one for the Lil' Lady

As most of you probably know from recent posts that PA's doe only early ML season has been open through this week. My Mrs. decided she would take Friday off so she could get a few days of hunting in before the season ends later today. She elected not to hunt the opener last Saturday because she had already made plans to spend a day with her sister and niece doing whatever ladies do when they get together for a day.
A good friend I used to work with had contacted me prior to season and we made plans to hunt the first afternoon together. He told me there was one problem, he had left his flintlock at his brothers in a neighboring county over an hour away and if I didn't mind, could he use one of my rifles as he planned on going back there for the tail end of the early season and decided to just leave his rifle there. After a bit of discussion, he decided that he wouldn't mind using a scoped ML for the afternoon if that was OK so I got out my T/C Scout rifle, checked my load data and took it out for a few shots. It put the shots right where it had been, about 1" high of dead center at 50 yards with 80 gr. of FFFg, bore button and T/C Maxiball so I cleaned the gun and awaited his arrival a few days later.
My friend and I hunted together the opening afternoon and neither of us saw a deer so instead of firing the load out of a clean barrel, I just removed the cap and wiped the exterior off then put it away for use later in the week. When I mentioned to the Mrs. that it was ready to go but if she wanted to use her own rifle I would get that out for her to shoot, she said " No, the Scout will be fine,,, I've killed deer with it before".
Friday afternoon we were in the woods together and there was just a light breeze out of the north which is perfect for afternoon here at our place because the deer move from their bedding grounds north of us to the crop fields near the house. Well, things were pretty quiet through the afternoon and I had not seen a deer from my stand so around 6:25 pm I sent her a text and told her to give it five more minutes and come out, that I'd be waiting. Several minutes went by and I started to gather my things and get ready to climb down when I heard "BOOM"! I waited several minutes and she shot me a text, "I got one... she's down"! I walked to the stand where she was and she led me to her deer. She made a perfect shot at about 60 yards and the deer never took another step. It was a nice 1-1/2 yr. old doe that weighed 110 lbs. on my scale. I sure am proud of my gal!!

BPS
Old 10-24-2015, 08:11 AM
Dominant Buck

nothing better to eat then a nice young doe. Congratulations to the little lady.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats to your lady. It's hard to beat a bang flop.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good for her.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Way to go for you both!! My wife would never get out "in the cold" much less shoot a doe...but she likes to eat them!

I gotta wait till Nov. 7 for our only doe day in Va, but the first two weeks you can kill a antlered buck.

I have passed on two small does so far with the crossbow an its been way to hot yet to butcher one up, for me anyway. It will come I hope.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I sure am proud of my gal!!
Well I guess so. Congratulations to the Lady, BPS.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice. Glad to hear someone in our family got one. As much as I wanted to shoot one with the .58 I had 2 yearlings come past me last evening. I left them walk. They were likely about 60-65 lbs dressed. And I believe one was a button buck. I was hoping momma would soon come by she was a no show.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to her BPS! Got any pics?
Old 10-25-2015, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Not the deer....just your lil lady.....lol

Reminds me of the joke: You got any pictures of your wife? Want some?
Old 10-25-2015, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Sorry fellas...

We didn't take any pics this time. Kinda figured you all know what a 1-1/2 yr. old doe looks like but incidentally, this was her sixth ML deer. Two with the Scout rifle, two with her Cabela's Hawken, and two with her T/C PA Hunter carbine. Here's a couple pics from the archives...

The first pic was a big doe she shot in 2012 early ML season with her Cabela's .54 Hawken. I actually watched her make the shot on that deer. We put her pop up blind in a spot where it could be seen from the house and I happened to look out the kitchen window and saw the deer standing about 50 yards from the blind. Then I heard the BOOM and saw the deer buckle then run into the brush lot where we found it. The second pic was her first Flintlock deer with her T/C PA Hunter carbine. Thanks to all and I have passed on the congrats to my Lil' lady!

BPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.