HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Score one for the Lil' Lady
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 07:49 AM
Blackpowdersmoke
Nontypical Buck

Default Score one for the Lil' Lady

As most of you probably know from recent posts that PA's doe only early ML season has been open through this week. My Mrs. decided she would take Friday off so she could get a few days of hunting in before the season ends later today. She elected not to hunt the opener last Saturday because she had already made plans to spend a day with her sister and niece doing whatever ladies do when they get together for a day.
A good friend I used to work with had contacted me prior to season and we made plans to hunt the first afternoon together. He told me there was one problem, he had left his flintlock at his brothers in a neighboring county over an hour away and if I didn't mind, could he use one of my rifles as he planned on going back there for the tail end of the early season and decided to just leave his rifle there. After a bit of discussion, he decided that he wouldn't mind using a scoped ML for the afternoon if that was OK so I got out my T/C Scout rifle, checked my load data and took it out for a few shots. It put the shots right where it had been, about 1" high of dead center at 50 yards with 80 gr. of FFFg, bore button and T/C Maxiball so I cleaned the gun and awaited his arrival a few days later.
My friend and I hunted together the opening afternoon and neither of us saw a deer so instead of firing the load out of a clean barrel, I just removed the cap and wiped the exterior off then put it away for use later in the week. When I mentioned to the Mrs. that it was ready to go but if she wanted to use her own rifle I would get that out for her to shoot, she said " No, the Scout will be fine,,, I've killed deer with it before".
Friday afternoon we were in the woods together and there was just a light breeze out of the north which is perfect for afternoon here at our place because the deer move from their bedding grounds north of us to the crop fields near the house. Well, things were pretty quiet through the afternoon and I had not seen a deer from my stand so around 6:25 pm I sent her a text and told her to give it five more minutes and come out, that I'd be waiting. Several minutes went by and I started to gather my things and get ready to climb down when I heard "BOOM"! I waited several minutes and she shot me a text, "I got one... she's down"! I walked to the stand where she was and she led me to her deer. She made a perfect shot at about 60 yards and the deer never took another step. It was a nice 1-1/2 yr. old doe that weighed 110 lbs. on my scale. I sure am proud of my gal!!

BPS