Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Have you ever had one of those days??? >

Have you ever had one of those days???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Have you ever had one of those days???

Old 10-14-2015, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default Have you ever had one of those days???

So, I woke up around 10:00 this morning and thought would do a little shooting today. I opened my gun safe and started digging my way towards the back of my safe when I discovered that I had a new rifle I have not shot at all. Wow!!! All of a sudden I am having a great day. It's kind of like Christmas coming a tad early. Anyways I had forgot about her and by the way her name is Thumper. I remembered picking her up sometime back and setting towards the back of my 48 gun gun-safe. Thumper is a .58 cal TOW customized Renegade with a GMB. Really the only part that is Renegade is the lock, triggers, and but plate. I thought I would share my good fortune by telling y'all about a having one of them days.
Attached Thumbnails Have you ever had one of those days???-image.jpg  
Old 10-14-2015, 08:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes I have done the same thing. I was taking a insurance survey of the firearms and marking them off as I picked them out, checked serial numbers, etc, and suddenly found a .50 caliber flintlock T/C Hawken on the shelf. I must have purchased it, and stuck it on a back gun shelf. It was even labelled so I knew what part of the rack it went in, and where I purchased it from. So I too got to shoot a new to me rifle. This was a while back and I have sense shot the devil out of the rifle. I purchased it so I could fit Green Mountain Barrels in a .50 Hawken instead of my .54.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well that happened to me once too. At least that's what I told my wife. She saw me with a nice little 20 ga SxS and asked "When did you get that?"
I said "I don't know where it came from. I found it nestled in between two 12 gauges. I don't know what's going on in that gun safe. I think they might be breeding in there!"
Old 10-14-2015, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Sheesh, you guys have biiiiiiig safes....
I only have 2 b/p rifles of which one is a custom .451 in 1:24 twist, proudly South African made rifle. A Mkonto inline based on the J Pauley's British Patent #4026 of 1816 and I don't even get a chance to properly sight her in.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Shoot O' dear - I would call that one of those really really really good days....

Had to turn your pic over so I could digest it...

Dang nice find... and it has in history earned it's name "Thumper"
Old 10-14-2015, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

I think I may need to go through my gun safes and inventory what I have now on hand. Lately I have ran through a lot of rifles. I bought 7 or 8 in the last 2 weeks but have sold a few as well. I just can't pass up a good deal. Thanks SL for rotating the pic. The stock on that rifle is a little thicker than a regular Renegade stock. She will have to wait awhile before I get to shoot her. Gonna be out of state for a bit. Gonna head over in to WV with my .36 rock lock and chase some bushy tails with my dad and a couple of friends. I attached another pic so y'all can see the differences in the stocks. Anyways it's a great day to be me...lol
Attached Thumbnails Have you ever had one of those days???-image.jpg  
Old 10-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Well that happened to me once too. At least that's what I told my wife. She saw me with a nice little 20 ga SxS and asked "When did you get that?"
I said "I don't know where it came from. I found it nestled in between two 12 gauges. I don't know what's going on in that gun safe. I think they might be breeding in there!"
Bronco, I never thought of telling wife that when I was married. Now that's funny. Wait a while and slip out and pick up another 12 ga and you can always tell her that the 20 ga grew up...lol
Old 10-14-2015, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, haven't laid in bed until 10 in decades, usually up drinking coffee and getting the day started by 5:00..
Old 10-14-2015, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Nope, haven't laid in bed until 10 in decades, usually up drinking coffee and getting the day started by 5:00..
When Uncle Sam said I was retired I took it to heart...lol... Actually 10:00 is purdy early for me to get up. I play music at night so I don't get to bed until around 6:00 AM. However, that allows me to satisfy both my addictions guitars and guns.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well Slowburn, I'd say that's a darn nice way to start your day!

I known I have several center fire shootin' irons in my safe that I've never fired, but here's what I found to be coincidental when I read your OP. I bought a NIB never fired T/C .58 Hawken rifle 1-1/2 yrs. ago today on 4/14/14 (some of you may remember I posted a few pics) and had never fired it so today I thought... what the heck, I might just take that .58 out this afternoon and throw some .570 round balls through it. It seems everyone else on here has been shooting their big bores lately so maybe that's what got me in the mood to shoot it. Besides, I might just use that during part of our early doe only ML season which starts the 17th.

Well, a friend called around 1:00 and asked if I could help him round up and load some cattle he was sending to a sale so I didn't get home until darn near five but I decided to shoot for a bit anyway. My target backstop was out at about 40 yards so I hung a target with a 3" bull on it and rounded up my gear. I loaded up with 70 gr. FFg, a .020 pillow tick patch, and .570 ball. My first shot was about 2" high of the bull and about 1" left of center. I swabbed with a moistened alcohol patch and shot again, this time in the bull at 10:00 with my next three shots hovering in a nice little cluster all in the 10 and 11:00 portion of the bull. I'm going to shoot it some more tomorrow and play around with a load a bit, maybe make a sight adjustment, but so far I'm happy.

Incidentally... when I finished shooting and was picking up my gear, I heard what sounded like deer moving through our brush lot. Several minutes later there were 7 does that came out and just a few minutes later a small buck (which I believe was a 6 pt.) came out. They all milled around for about ten minutes or so then went into the neighbors corn. Oh if they only knew!!!

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 10-18-2015 at 08:17 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.