Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Took the Reclaimed MK to the Rock Pit -Final Tune Up >

Took the Reclaimed MK to the Rock Pit -Final Tune Up

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Took the Reclaimed MK to the Rock Pit -Final Tune Up

Old 10-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Took the Reclaimed MK to the Rock Pit -Final Tune Up

Got some time this morning so I packed up and headed to the Rock Pit to get some 100 yard Bird Shooting in. I had sighted in for a 75 yards at the Farm and wanted now to verify the guns ability at 100 yards.

My initial intentions were to set up 5 clay pigeons on the rock wall and shoot them with the Sierra 458x300 gr. FN HP bullets to verify what I thought I already knew. The first three shots went pretty much as planned so I decided to switch things up a little bit and shoot some Lehigh/Bloodline 458x300's. I got the same results with them as I did the Sierra's. For this shoot I was using a 6 O'clock hold on the birds with the bird sitting right on top of the front sight. I forgot how small a 4 1/4" round bird is at a 100 yards looking through a peep sight but using my portable bench and rests I was able to get the job done. With the birds gone and really not much shooting done, I set up another 5 birds for another go at them. This time out of the blue I decided I would try a completely different bullet. I found a box of Lehigh 50x350 grain CF bullets. So I will start with these and see how it went.

The Lehigh .500x350 is a center fire bullet and the circumference of it is smaller than most 50 cal. ML barrels. To get this bullet to work in a ML I apply a knurl to the bullet. This is the bullet after knurling

These bullets were knurled to fit my Ultra-Lite which has a slightly tighter bore than does is much older Tony Knight MK-85; because of that I was really unsure of the fit. I placed the MMP sub-base in the bore and then the knurled 350. It was not tight at all - in fact it was very easy to push down on to the powder. I was very skeptical of this first shot. Since brass does not obturate to the bore as soft lead does and this is a long bullet I was worried that it would not stabilize.

First shot went off without a hitch and the bird was gone! Loaded up 4 more of these bullets and two the 4 loaded with more pressure - a pressure I was more comfortable with and all 4 of these bullets found there mark.

I forgot to get a picture of the second set of birds until I had already shot two of them... but here is a group of pictures showing what I was doing.

The gun is ready to hunt with - the neighbor across the street should be able to get the job done.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Very nice shooting ! That will get the job done. A great hunting load and rifle there.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
Very nice shooting ! That will get the job done. A great hunting load and rifle there.
I am often surprised how those old MK-85 shoot. They were just a well made rifle and as they probably needed to be to offer viable competition for Doc White's rifles.

Can you imagine if those two guys were still building what they might have progressed to today!
Old 10-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

Good shoot'n. My dad's only muzzleloader is an old MK-85 and they have to be good to hold up to him. I really like the MK-85 and I think they are a very fine shooting rifle. I don't think I ever saw a bad one.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Slowburn
Good shoot'n. My dad's only muzzleloader is an old MK-85 and they have to be good to hold up to him. I really like the MK-85 and I think they are a very fine shooting rifle. I don't think I ever saw a bad one.
I would agree... they are great rifles!

Nice job SL, she's ready
Old 10-08-2015, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

30 years later and the MK85 is still one of the best MLs ever built. Knight should offer a small commemorative run of MK85 Grand Americans.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
30 years later and the MK85 is still one of the best MLs ever built. Knight should offer a small commemorative run of MK85 Grand Americans.
They probably wouldn't be near as good as they were back then.