Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My first Excursion with ML >

My first Excursion with ML

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My first Excursion with ML

Old 10-08-2015, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
This weekend will be my first excursion into the woods with a muzzle loader so I am a little excited at this moment, something new and something I have been wanting to try. Never hunted with one so will be using my fathers since can't get out due to work load being behind from the rain this past week.

Anyone else get this excited for things like this?
First time out using someone else's ML and equipment means "always think safety".

If trekking a-lot this weekend thru the woods and prior to being seated, always remove your ramrod and be sure that loaded bullet is still seated firmly against the powder.

Another good idea with an unfamiliar sport like this, is to shoot your ML after a day's hunt and start fresh in the morning on a "dry" barrel.

Once familiarity rings-in and you gain experience and knowledge, then venture into leaving a load-in for multiple days.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks fellas, I do get excited each time I am out but the addition of trying something completely new or hunting a completely new game or area seems to add to that for me. Areas I am very familiar with or guns like my Rem 870 slug gun have gotten so familiar that I think the small things start to get missed. Not saying I don't pay attention to the details but when it comes to new things like mentioned, every little detail stands out crystal clear in my mind as I am obtaining new experience and information I suppose. This is just another one and I am looking forward to it.

Triple, thinks for the advice and it has been something I have thought about and I have already started practicing a mental checklist for things to do before the hunt and after whether I shoot it or not. Making time today to go by the range to shoot a little with the ML. I was there when my father was sighting it in but I was busy sighting in mine and his slug guns and some of our other guns that I didn't get the chance to shoot his as I was not expecting to be using it at this point. After all he just got it recently and has not hunted with it yet.

Cheers to new adventures
Old 10-08-2015, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't used a centerfire in years for deer hunting since getting MLs i really like. I even use mine during firearms season. It has one major side effect though....its hard to stop buying them.

Once the addiction begins you may find yourself looking at upper end models like the Knight Ultra Lite or new Cooper ML. Those new Coopers sure are purty.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

I killed my first deer (spike buck) with my .54 Renegade in the early 90's and was hooked from then on...still have that gun with open sights.

I started using a Excalibur crossbow couple years ago, which is fun in its on way, but I prefer the muzzleloading seasons to the others.

We have a early season, first two weeks of Nov. then late season last two weeks of Dec. in VA.

Good luck to you!!
Old 10-13-2015, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, would appear this past weekend was a bust for deer but an enjoyment for the most part in the woods.

Friday, only 3 locations where open for hunting and I never been in any of these areas except one spot in one so figured will try that area for an evening sit. Unfortunately another hunter was already there when I got to the area so had to improvise. Found another spot, ran into 4 snakes on the way in (they are moving right now) but set up in a good area (or at least I thought it was good) but saw nothing. Had to pull out when the winds start changing so not to bump or pressure any of the deer.

Saturday was raining for most of the day and also the wife kinda veto'ed my hunting plans and requested my help moving furniture and such for setting up the future babies room. Tried to convince her we have time, she is not due till Feb but chose not to argue, I think that was the wiser course.

Sunday got out in the morning in an area I haven't hunted for a few years and saw the usual but not much deer movement. Bumped a deer on my way in that was bedding just off the dirt road which I thought was unusual. Acorns everywhere but very few white oak acorns seem to be dropping this year. Few scrapes and rubs in the area and some odd bedding sites, pulled out after having another hunter walk into the area along the thicket/creek bottom the deer usually bed down in and spooking the turkeys feeding in the area. Did talk with him and he gave me some unintended info that I found useful.

Monday, raining again but decided an afternoon sit was what was needed. From what the hunter told me him and his buddy have been sitting mornings and evenings in the area and seen only a couple deer, he took a doe a few weeks earlier. So I figured the deer have already started patterning the hunters so why not. Sat in the rain for several hours and had to pull out to go pick my son up from school at 4 and of course jumped a deer heading right towards me as I was getting out of my spot. Also spotted a few deer a few a little ways away bedded under a holly tree so had to low crouch walk out of the area.

Pressure has been put on these deer early and they are also changing their patterns and patterning the hunters. Acorns everywhere so no food to focus the deer into a single area. And from the large amounts of rain we have gotten I think I figured out why the deer have been bedding in odd areas then their usual. The rain has flooded the lower areas they generally bed in so they have been forced to take up on higher dryer ground. This kind of changes the way they are moving but hopefully with a lack of rain this week they will resume a more normal patter for next weekend.

Good luck everyone.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Antisipation, excitement, or whatever, it is all the same! I love sitting in the woods and taking in all the noise and smells. Put when that first animal steps out...