Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What is in your pack? >

What is in your pack?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What is in your pack?

Old 07-26-2015, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well... short of digging out my gear and looking, it depends on the hunt. If hunting my own woods I carry as little as possible, usually just a few premeasured loads, a pan primer or #11 capper hanging from a lanyard from my neck, ball/bullet starter, prelubed bullets and bore buttons or round balls and prelubed patches in a plastic tobacco tin, pan brush (if flintlock). Also a spare flint or nipple, a jag and a few clean patches and a multi-tool in a small pouch in my possibles bag. Leather "cow's knee" lock cover, my 8x40 Nikon binocs, a bag for heart and liver (if they aren't shot), a bottle of water and maybe a deer call or two. And yes, my dad-gum cell phone!

BPS
Old 07-26-2015, 01:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not to get off on a tangent here but this is a good post to do it.
If you watch all the ads on TV and magazines for hunting related items you would need an ATV pulling a trailer to get it all into the woods.
When I first started hunting close to 50 years ago I carried my rifle, some extra ammo, a knife, rope, license and pencil to fill my tag, sandwich, apple and maybe a candy bar. Drank water from a spring or creek or just ate snow. Everything either went on my belt or in my hunting coat pocket.
With this stuff I left the camp before light, and unless I got lucky and tagged out, stayed out until dark.

Last edited by bronko22000; 07-26-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rifle
Primers
3 speedloaders
flashlight
knife
license
gloves-latex
face mask
small amt. of folded hand towels
sanitizer
small bottled water
maybe a sandwich and/or candy/granola bar
My Walkers Game Ears
Fully charged phone
Old 07-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

In my shooting pouch I have extra balls, patching, lube, flints, a knapping hammer with a turn screw on one end, some cleaning patches, a frizzen cover, powder measure, loading block with 4 extra patched balls, a wing bone turkey call and a short starter...
Old 07-27-2015, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

The cell phone reception I find laughable, got to be one of those cheap Wal Mart plans. I have found one spot in the whole state of Michigan where mine won't work, a spot on High way 35 between Escanaba and Marinette Wisconsin. I get good reception in the middle of a cranberry bog near Rapid river.

Al
Old 07-27-2015, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a fanny pack that I use, only when I am stand hunting. If I am still hunting, I don't take it.

In the pack I have compact binoculars, knife, cotton gloves, flashlight, grunt call, bottle of water, granola & snickers bars. My ML stuff I keep on me, in my pockets. Typically 2 speed loaders, a ball starter, and capper (or cap holder for 209's). If I was going for an all day sit, I'd pack a couple sandwiches too. I take a walkie talkie if I'm hunting with other buddies, not if I'm solo.

If I'm just going out for a still hunt, I don't take my pack. Knife goes on my belt, ML stuff in my pockets, bino's around my neck. To me, less is more. I used to carry alot more stuff, 90% of it never got used.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
The cell phone reception I find laughable, got to be one of those cheap Wal Mart plans.
Al
Verizon and ATT subscribers we are! It's probably the worst area for cellphone reception in Lower Michigan. Just follow your eyes and nose thru the areas showing the Huron National Forest / Mio areas, and a little north and south of that, when looking at cellphone reception strength maps online. If it's inside a mid-sized town like Mio where population is heavier, then reception is available. But minutes outside of Mio and the signal starts to weaken. Lots of little towns where there's nothing, depending on elevation.......etc.

You must have a 1st class smartphone.... probably an Apple. But in case you don;t know this, over 70% of America is still NOT beyond 3G phones yet Alleyyooper. I think over 50% of Amerrica still don't use a smartphone. SeniorCitizen America is still pretty big in this country and many know very little about computers, ***********......etc.

Sure I can walk 200 yards to a woodshed, once in a while and find a perfect spot for reception. Or drive 12 miles to reach a top of the hill to talk. But in the Area forests there..... no way! We also drive vehicles over 10 years old. We aren't like you alleyyooper, with built-in bluetooth in your 30+K vehicle.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 07-27-2015 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Wouldn't spend 30 cents for any smart phone on the market. I like my dumb 7 year old nokia flip. We ride the MCCC trails in the Grayling, Gaylord, Mio, Atlanta , and Joburg areas.

Al
Old 07-28-2015, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Now days?

Extra layers.

As far as MZ stuff since going to tool less breach plugs I carry a Bore Snake to do a routine field cleaning along with a welders tip and drill bit to keep the breech plug clean, all three items weigh practically nothing and take up very little space in my pack.

Depending on where I am hunting and how long the walk in is or how long I plan to be out I also keep anywhere from 3 to 5 Speedloaders with extra primers in a capper.

Having broken a few slings in the past I always carry some rope to use as a back up sling,