Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
T/C Triumph Bone Collector Mis-fires >

T/C Triumph Bone Collector Mis-fires

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Triumph Bone Collector Mis-fires

Old 07-23-2015, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mzelktag

Muley Hunter, curious why you don't like the bore lock bullet for elk? And anybody, Do you think the bore lock bullet holds firm enough in the barrel to hold the BH209 powder snugly in position or do you think it would loosen during the day hiking and on horse. Seemed reasonable pressure seating while loading.
Take a look at this thread and you will see why he doesn't like them.... http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...revisited.html

I personally haven't even tried them. Was going to, was interested in them, but I decided to go with the new Lehigh CF's for my youngest's first hunt with a smoke pole. They shot very well out of the old hawken and I think she will be pleased with the performance on game. They all say they are pretty much a better "Bloodline" which all say perform impressively.

Glad to see you got the bugs worked out in your MLer. Figured it was the flash channel carbonized. Especially with a TC breech plug.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:59 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Take a look at this thread and you will see why he doesn't like them.... http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...revisited.html

I personally haven't even tried them. Was going to, was interested in them, but I decided to go with the new Lehigh CF's for my youngest's first hunt with a smoke pole. They shot very well out of the old hawken and I think she will be pleased with the performance on game. They all say they are pretty much a better "Bloodline" which all say perform impressively.

Glad to see you got the bugs worked out in your MLer. Figured it was the flash channel carbonized. Especially with a TC breech plug.
That thread shows the result with 50 gr powder. Thats not even close to an elk load . If used with sufficient powder , say 120 gr and reasonable distance , say 150 yds or less, they will perform just fine. When i first looked at that thread i thought gee i have 5 packs , guess i wont ever use them . Went and shot half a pack myself and decided i wouldnt be afraid to use them .

Old 07-23-2015, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have to chuckle when someone says they'll use a bullet, because it did ok at the range.

Why wouldn't I use it on elk? It's reviews like this one that make me feel that way.

"They do load easy and shoot straight, but you can't kill anything with them. Shot moose in shoulder, missing the bone...bullet only went in a couple inches came apart and stopped. That's with three 50 grain triple pellets @ 100 yards. It never made it to the engine room. Similar shot with a Barnes bullet, blow up main shoulder bone, two ribs on each side and stopped in the skin after passing through other shoulder. HUGE difference. Too bad, I had high hopes."

Old 07-23-2015, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I have to chuckle when someone says they'll use a bullet, because it did ok at the range.

Why wouldn't I use it on elk? It's reviews like this one that make me feel that way.

"They do load easy and shoot straight, but you can't kill anything with them. Shot moose in shoulder, missing the bone...bullet only went in a couple inches came apart and stopped. That's with three 50 grain triple pellets @ 100 yards. It never made it to the engine room. Similar shot with a Barnes bullet, blow up main shoulder bone, two ribs on each side and stopped in the skin after passing through other shoulder. HUGE difference. Too bad, I had high hopes."

To be the devils advocate for a sec here, there is a VAST difference between a Moose and an Elk. I've had bullets that ripped through an Elk with ease and the same type bullet from the same firearm, in the same shot placement, blew up and didn't do diddly to a Moose other than piss it off. Was lucky with a followup shot through the ribs taking out lungs. First shot was fairly high shoulder. An adult bull Moose has several hundred pounds on an adult Bull Elk and it aint all in the gut. I honestly think those bullets would be fine at a reasonable range on Elk or Whitetail. 100 yards and in with a fairly hot load. 100 grains or more. I DON'T feel they would be good for a light load like I was looking for so my youngest could use a smoke pole without getting her shoulder knocked off. She's got too pretty a face for it to be covered in snot bubbles Of course having never used them myself I can't have anything more than an educated assumption by reading any and all reports that I can.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't agree. He told you what the same shot would do if it was a Barnes. He didn't hit an y bone, and it blew up after a few inches of penetration.

Personally, I wouldn't use a bullet on an elk that won't kill a moose.

I can show you another review with the Fed blowing up on a whitetail.

I've stated in the past that the Fed bullet is like a Powerbelt. They work if the speed is in the bullets comfort zone. No thanks. I want a bullet that works at all speeds.

You all can use it, and it might work fine. Just like a Powerbelt. I'll bet that every now and then you'll read about the Fed failing.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I forgot to mention that review came from a hunter who lives in Alaska, so he probably has experience shooting moose, and knows what bullets work.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot to ask, if the bullet didn't make it to the boiler room, just went in a "couple of inches and stopped", his second shot obviously performed better? Otherwise, how did he find out of that was all the first shot did? Or did that first shot clip an artery or something and the Moose went down?

My example was from a centerfire experience (Marlin pre 64 336 30/30). Killed quite a few Moose and Elk with that "weak", "outdated", "Can't kill anything bigger than a whitetail" old girl. Upon recovery of that Moose, I found that old Cup And Core had blown into 6 pieces and penetrated approximately 3 inches. That was the first and ONLY time those had ever failed like that from that old 30/30. Might have been a defect (Bubble in the lead). Chit happens.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:06 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I forgot to mention that review came from a hunter who lives in Alaska, so he probably has experience shooting moose, and knows what bullets work.
Obviously not , seeing as he used the bullet and then said it didnt work.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

We don't know the full story. He might have had a buddy backing him up with a CF gun.

Fact remains the bullet exploded. Federal says the bullet is for deer, and I wouldn't use it for anything else.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 07-24-2015 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey mzelktag, I'll bet you never expected your thread to go wild azz crazy off topic like this. Welcome to the summer of bored guys on the Black Powder Forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.