Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
T/C Triumph Bone Collector Mis-fires >

T/C Triumph Bone Collector Mis-fires

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Triumph Bone Collector Mis-fires

Old 07-21-2015, 08:53 AM
Spike

Went to my Dad's shop to get a torch tip cleaner. Checked the flash hole size. 0.028 wire fits in but the file part(.030) didn't. The tip cleaners have about 1/2" of wire before the file part of the wire starts. I measured the wire with calipers at .028 and the file part at .030. The next wire was .032. I just got to get to the range now and report back.
Thanks everyone.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you take the 1/8 bit to it every 10 shots, you won't need anything else. every 10 shots allows you to get what little bit gets built up before it can get TOO bad.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
..... ignition gas move up and around, escaping that seated bullet faster than the skirt engages upwards and motions that bullet upward.....
No it doesn't. The photo show how the skirt works as designed when using only 50g Blackhorn.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Who hunts with 50 grains?.... women and children.
Conicals and Blackhorn together, are well known to breed an issue or two, when discussing the entire field of loading, shooting and landing that bullet downrange.

I'm done with this..... whatever! I feel sorry for Colorado ML lovers, who have to deal with their state laws on muzzleloaders. BTW... Colorado members of this website should be required to add their location below their name. That way some of us from normal regulatory states would obstain from getting involved in the their state's strict laws on ML'ing.

Or better yet, have a faction of this board isolated to Colorado-ONLY Discussions.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 07-22-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Conicals and Blackhorn together, are well known to breed an issue or two, when discussing the entire field of loading, shooting and landing that bullet downrange.

I'm done with this..... whatever! I feel sorry for Colorado ML lovers, who have to deal with their state laws on muzzleloaders. BTW... Colorado members of this website should be required to add their location below their name. That way some of us from normal regulatory states would obstain from getting involved in the their state's strict laws on ML'ing.

Or better yet, have a faction of this board isolated to Colorado-ONLY Discussions.
Stop your whining. We're doing just fine in Colorado. Get your own forum if you don't like this one.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Colorado rules are very simple to me. Not sure why there's always confusion.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Grouse45
The Colorado rules are very simple to me. Not sure why there's always confusion.
I can only guess it gets too technical.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:25 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Not for a 5% er

Old 07-22-2015, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Very true😛
Old 07-23-2015, 04:31 PM
Spike

Back from the range (sorry for the delay) and am happy to report success. Breech plug fowling was certainly the No.1 problem, swabbing probably contributed to the problem. With these problems corrected, I didn't change anything else. I never had a mis-fire and only went 7 shots between cleaning the BP with drill/fingers. Found it plenty crusty even with that. Thankyou all for the help. Now I can get on with working up a load for the Wife's Elk.

No worries Ron with me using a drill. Retired Engineer and hobby machinists, I was very careful and understand the issues. Embarassing that I didn't figure out the carbon. I soaked it and bought all the stuff and thought it would soften it. Got it now.

Maybe I should use a new thread for loads but have this from todays shooting.

Used Win.209 Shotgun primers only.

Shot Federal FPB 350 gr., 100 gr.BH209. 3-1/2" group but this load really belts you.
Then I shot 270 gr.Bore Lock, 100 gr.BH209. 4-1/2" group. Much more comfortable to shoot.

Shot both bullets with 100 gr. Pyrodex. Swabbed between groups but not between shots. Bore lock bullets scrape the barrel down so were fine and the FPB bullets seemed reasonable to seat to the powder for three in a row anyway. Groups worse than with the 209.

Muley Hunter, curious why you don't like the bore lock bullet for elk? And anybody, Do you think the bore lock bullet holds firm enough in the barrel to hold the BH209 powder snugly in position or do you think it would loosen during the day hiking and on horse. Seemed reasonable pressure seating while loading.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.