Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Nosler Partition

Old 07-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
You may be right but it invalidates all his other tests as a comparison.
Yes for sure. That's just a lot of work to redo.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Ron,
Just curious why your changing how you test the bullets? You started at 50grns of BH209 and now your 80 with different bullets.
50 grain of powder kinda sorta replicates 200 yard shots. Most hunters never shoot that far hence the switch to 80 grain, which kinda sorta replicates a short 100 yard shot if one is burning 100 grain, or there about. Here, we are required by regulation to use iron sights or non magnified optics. This rules out 200 yard shots for me personally.

Perhaps i came to conclusion too quickly, but it seemed to me that at around 1100 fps, the tipped bullets, and the hollow points just plug up, and don't expand. At any rate, it seemed a waste of time to try more shots using only 50g of powder. The Lehigh CF certainly worked well at the low speed, and if i had young children, they would be shooting the CF bullet with low powder charges.

My plan is to try all the same bullets, except for unavailable bullet, with 80g of powder, and perhaps others.

Tom, if there is anything specific you would like me to try, i certainly will. Am looking forward to shooting the XP using 80g of powder.

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 07-13-2015 at 07:11 PM. Reason: added 'yard'
Old 07-13-2015, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
You may be right but it invalidates all his other tests as a comparison.
Perhaps i am reaching conclusion too quickly. However, it seemed clear to me that hollow points, and tipped bullets just plug up at speeds around 1100 fps. What happened is, i lost interest in staying with such a low powder charge.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
50 grain of powder kinda sorta replicates 200 yard shots. Most hunters never shoot that far hence the switch to 80 grain, which kinda sorta replicates a short 100 yard shot if one is burning 100 grain, or there about. Here, we are required by regulation to use iron sights or non magnified optics. This rules out 200 shots for me personally.

Perhaps i came to conclusion too quickly, but it seemed to me that at around 1100 fps, the tipped bullets, and the hollow points just plug up, and don't expand. At any rate, it seemed a waste of time to try more shots using only 50g of powder. The Lehigh CF certainly worked well at the low speed, and if i had young children, they would be shooting the CF bullet with low powder charges.

My plan is to try all the same bullets, except for unavailable bullet, with 80g of powder, and perhaps others.

Tom, if there is anything specific you would like me to try, i certainly will. Am looking forward to shooting the XP using 80g of powder.
Ron,
I think what your doing is awesome and takes lots of time. Just remember when using BH209 weights of bullets should be close. Comparing a 250grn bullet with a 300grn bullet using BH209 is no comparison or even fair comparison cause of BH being a progressive burning powder.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Perhaps i am reaching conclusion too quickly. However, it seemed clear to me that hollow points, and tipped bullets just plug up at speeds around 1100 fps. What happened is, i lost interest in staying with such a low powder charge.
I would think you are probably correct with that assumption. At those velocities they are only a few bullets that will still perform. At the reduced velocity the hollow point does not shear its way through things just more or less collects things. Even some spire pints would have a hard time working to their normal standard.

And really for most of the hunters out there the comparison of the different bullets @ 80 grains could be a telling thing. But the again you really have an opportunity to help the Power Belt people out - they will even work well.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

But the again you really have an opportunity to help the Power Belt people out - they will even work well.
you mean there are still people using powerjunks???? Say it aint SOOO!!!
Old 07-14-2015, 05:21 AM
Dominant Buck

A very interesting demonstration. I enjoy seeing bottle blow up. I once had a chance to purchase a LOT of Nosler bullets. Based on Sabotloader's recommendation I did purchase 300 grain. That is some amazing expansion and penetration I see in your test.

Whether this is even relevant, when I was testing Noslers out of my Knight Disc (which loved them!) I was shooting through media and then into soft sand. After that bullet plowed through about seven inches of wet media and then into the sand bunker it still penetrated several inches of sand. And like your photo the expansion was amazing. That was all done with 100 grains of Triple Seven 2f. I came to the conclusion that any deer I shot with a Nosler would get full penetration and a massive wound channel.

I really like your testing, presentation, and how they are conducted. I actually have learned a lot about some of the bullets out there we "could" use. The Lehigh and XTP have been most impressive. I'd like to see a XTP under the 80 grain conditions. But I would guess, massive penetration, and expansion.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well since every one is expressing their thoughts, I might as well do so.
Now when you study the pressure curves of BH with different loads you do not get a smooth curve until you get to 75 grains with a 250 grain bullet. It is not like other subs the burn is quite different and while I have only done a very limited amount of work with mini loads I suspect that a less than smooth curve indicates an irregular burn.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Them partitions are great bullets. Too bad they quit making them.

Thanks for all the work Ron, you are providing some great info! (and pics!)