Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bore Size Brass Conical CF Bullet >

Bore Size Brass Conical CF Bullet

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Size Brass Conical CF Bullet

Old 06-16-2015, 03:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Bore Size Brass Conical CF Bullet

I have been asking for a bullet that would be good for Colorado and now Oregon. Well, for others like myself that like shooting a 'full bore' conical, I think we might now have quality bullet for that purpose provided further testing proves it to be as good as the bullets have been in the past.

Of course here in Idaho during our ML season I am still stuck with a full bore lead conical such as the .503x460 MT NEx Bull Shop. Some of you know I have been experimenting with knurling 50 cal bullets up to fit my ULite bore. Well Lehigh Dave has created a test bullet for that purpose. For testing he created a .5015 and a .502 Brass Conical - Controlled Fracturing bullet.

For myself not really being a fan of a lead bullet - this is really more what I have been looking for. Best of all the .5015 fits my Knight Ultra Lite perfectly. I can load the .502 with a short starter also but the .5015's push through the crown with my palm and go down with the gun rod just fine.

The FedEx guy dropped the bullets off today - I was not planning on shooting but could not resist. Gathered up the gear loaded the truck and headed to the farm - it is still green...

Got setup in the heat - poor time to be shooting but with the full bore bullet heat is not the factor it normally is with a sabot. Placed the target at 50 yards since the rifle is sighted in with a much heavier bullet. Loaded the rifle and commenced the shoot.

I used the .502's for the first two shots and the really did load OK - they were tight but the way Dave built the thin gas rings the did load.

The first two shots are right under the center bull and really hit where I thought I was aiming - so I was surprised but happy. Then I switched to the .5015's really a dream to load. Took 3 shots with them. Not real sure why the climbed up the target other than through the peep it was very difficult to get the exact same hold shot to shot.

Next trip out I want to do a bit of additional testing, getting velocities and velocity testing with and with out a wad.

I was also able to shoot the new Controlled Fracturing bullet from Lehigh. It was .452x245 grain CF

The target is not really as good as I would like it - but part of the problem was shooting a scope target with open sights...

Last edited by sabotloader; 06-16-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Wow!! The .5015 conicals are looking great! I wonder how they would load in my CVA Optima V2 pistol .500 bore? I would have to try the .502 as well.

The Optima rifles are supposed to be the same per CVA I'm told. Do you have any Optima's to test?

Just when I decided on using the 300/.452 XTP's this comes out...
Old 06-16-2015, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by toytruck
Wow!! The .5015 conicals are looking great! I wonder how they would load in my CVA Optima V2 pistol .500 bore? I would have to try the .502 as well.

The Optima rifles are supposed to be the same per CVA I'm told. Do you have any Optima's to test?

Just when I decided on using the 300/.452 XTP's this comes out...
Well it really is not out yet - it really is in the testing mode. There may be some cosmetic changes to it before it is out.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looking good SL! That is a super nice looking bullet for sure!

Did you just put them straight on top of the powder?
Old 06-16-2015, 07:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Looking good SL! That is a super nice looking bullet for sure!

Did you just put them straight on top of the powder?
Correct I did load right on top of the powder.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

I'd like to see them bullets sized to .451.5 for my White's
Old 06-16-2015, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by edmehlig
I'd like to see them bullets sized to .451.5 for my White's
Ya me too... Just not enough 45 shooters out there. Maybe at some point he might make em... You just never know he can build just about anything...
Old 06-17-2015, 03:15 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe you can persuade him??? GRIN