Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
.45 Elite range session >

.45 Elite range session

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.45 Elite range session

Old 06-16-2015, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default .45 Elite range session

I've tried a few times to post this, photobucket is giving me fits!! It keeps saying my image is missing. ?? Hopefully it will work.

I got out Sunday to shoot a little. Was hoping to do more than I did, but it was awful hot and muggy and then the rain came. My son and daughter were with me, we shot some other guns as well...just ran out of time to tinker as much as I wanted with the ML.

Took my .45 Disc Elite, set up a target at 100yds, and 150yds. Was hoping to shoot 200 also, maybe next time.

I shot the first target at 100yds. First shot from a clean barrel was a flyer. I kinda expected that based on what everyone has always said. This is only the 2nd time I've shot this rifle, last time I sighted it in...then shot some groups, so the first shot on a clean barrel was who knows where.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psaiz4b2na.jpg

My 3 shot group was right at 1" using 100gr BH, 200gr shockwaves w/supplied sabot, and W209 primer. I was very happy with that. I'm not the greatest shot by any means and honestly I don't shoot enough each year to be consistent. I used to shoot alot and was much better, but over the last 10yrs or so my shooting time has gone way down. Hope to eventually get it back up.

I let my son shoot the 150yd target...he's better than me anyhow.
The taped holes on the target was from some other shooting we were doing, I was too lazy to walk out and change the target. Guess I should have. His 3 shots were right at 1 3/8" using the same load. I doubt I could have shot that well.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psntsadxr0.jpg

It appears that the 150 group is about 1.5" lower than the 100. Needs to come up a smidge I guess, and maybe a tick over to the right. I didn't adjust at all while shooting. I like how flat it shoots Anyone have an idea what the MV might be? I'm guessing over 2000fps. Not sure what my trajectory would be out to 200...probably another 3-4" low maybe? Seems to me once I bring it up a hair, I might have a 200yd gun just point and shoot.

I'll try 200yds next time, not sure if I'll try more powder or not. I know most folks seem to like 110-120, but honestly with the scope I have on there the eye relief is only a little over 3" on 9x, and its already coming real close. I'm not used to shooting that much powder I guess, my normal loads in my other guns are with pyrodex, typically around 100gr volume. I don't know how much more kick the BH has, but it seems it certainly has some. If I was going to consistently shoot heavier loads, I'd change the scope to something with a little more eye relief.

Overall, I'm super happy with this rifle. Primers were perfectly clean, loaded easy and consistently shot after shot. Need to get some 195 Barnes to try out, those will be my hunting bullet I believe. Now if we can get the first shot flyer squared away, this one will be good to go!

Last edited by WV Hunter; 06-16-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its gotta be a HuntingNet issue. Pics work on other sites just fine. This seems to be the only site I seem to have issues on.

Guess I'll keep trying. Well it might work, somewhat...gotta click the link.

Last edited by WV Hunter; 06-16-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice!! Raise the scope 1" and your ready to hunt anything out to 200 yards atleast.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:57 AM
Spike

it is accuracte..... keep this load