Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lehigh Defense new contolled fracturing bullet design >

Lehigh Defense new contolled fracturing bullet design

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lehigh Defense new contolled fracturing bullet design

Old 06-26-2015, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Triple Se7en, I am just an average Joe American MLer that rarely, if ever, takes a shot on game beyond 150 yards with my inline. Hell it's a rarity if it's more than 70 yards around where I hunt. But I still take an interest in these bullets. May want to take the old smoke pole out for some Elk next year and want a good bullet that will perform well at 200 yards as well as close range.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
You seem to following the same mindset as me. Is Lehigh trying to cater to a very small audience? In other words, are all the people associated with these bullets/company categorized as 200-400 yard shooters, interested in building bullets unlike what the 95% audience have been pursuing the past 15 years or-so?
I would say that Lehigh is doing the opposite of what you are suggesting. Lehigh has really tried to serve everyone with the bullets they offer. Lehigh has worked very hard to serve the ML hunter with a bullet that works the same from 20 yards to 200+ yards, and I can personally say that I have experience with both of those ranges. Probably the least served group of hunter is the long range hunters. Non of their bullets have a high enough BC to be considered by the long range hunters. It just happens that with their low BC they still have the ability to go 200 yards plus. The recent changes in the bullets is another effort by Lehigh to make the bullet more general purpose. By 'broaching' the bullet will work at a lower FPS allowing folks to use reduced loads. In the case of the 40x215 it is designed for the those people the have a 1-20 twist rifle. This is not a large number but still a group of people that would prefer the heavier bullet. For those with the slower twist 45's the majority of the people out there, Lehigh offers a 40x200 and an even shorter 40x185. With these selections they have the 45 shooters pretty well covered.

One other thought to share - the Bloodline style of bullet built for Knight is under contract to Knight - By contract Lehigh can not openly sell the 230 grain Bloodline on the market even though Knight has not purchased the bullet yet.

In other words, are too many honchos at Lehigh from "open terrain America", which is such a small audience of shooters. Most ML shooters live further North and further East, where 100-150 yard shots are considered long. Where mushroom expansion is implanted so heavily in their store purchases.
You are really off base with that statement. You might look into the working of Lehigh before you condemn them. They have been in the past and will continue to be a working man's company. They try very hard to offer a projectile to fill everyone's needs.

Mushrooming bullets are the norm in America and will always be considered the norm - but in other places other bullets working in a totally different method have proven their abilities. I think if you were ever to give a Lehigh bullet the opportunity to work for you would see the difference.

BTW..... I sometimes shoot my 50/40 260 grain Precision Extremes. Talk about a long, narrow bullet...... they shoot very well, but not at "open terrain distances. But again I must mention that 90% of America want bullets for 150 yards and under. 5% more want up-to 200 yard targets. Then there's the last remaining 5% group that want 200-400 yards....... so many in that group posting either here, or at Modern or Doug's.

I was away from ML messageboards for several years. Now most of the posts and threads are from ML technical employees or designers. So few posts are from "real ML America"..... the Average-Joe shooters/hunters looking for accessories different than what's often discussed on ML boards today.

OK, I'm done ranting for this month and next.....lol
I am an old time American hunter myself - yet I have no problem moving to a technology that is superior to the present technology. In the world of bullets I want a bullet the presents the best Terminal Performance - time and time again and over the last several years Lehigh offerings have provided that.

But, I still drive a Ford...
Old 06-26-2015, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

My post wasn't meant in a bad way, I hope it wasn't taken that way.

Triple7en... I would have to agree with Sabotloader. This particular bullet that they are working on developing is a certain design, for the fast twist .45
They do have alot of other bullets available already that fit the vast majority of users, .45 or .50, so its not that they only care about a small segment of shooters/hunters. To me it appears they are working to eventually get all shooters/hunters covered with a number of options.

My question (which it sounds like SL answered) was since they already had the 230 designed and it rec'd so much praise as pretty much the perfect bullet for a fast twist, why they didn't just stick with that.

If Knight ain't gonna offer them maybe they should just let Lehigh do it
Old 06-26-2015, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Will be interested in seeing how they did.

One question as a new .45 shooter... if the 230 bloodlines were considered the holy grail by those who got to try them out, why doesn't lehigh just put those out?
From what I've read, they've already proven themselves beyond measure. Seems to me like a heavier bullet would ultimately be better for long distance hunting, rather than trying to go lighter (ie: 215). I know its only 15gr but you get my point.
The 230grn Bloodlines were awesome for me. I believe sabotloader will say the same thing. But some other people tested and had some problems. The bullet is so long it would not always be stable in such short sabots. I was always careful loading them and didn't have any issues. So I myself tried to duplicate what others have found after recent testing and I could make the 230grn un stable as well. So that is probably the main reason plus a new design for the change. The new bullet will be much more user friendly and I believe a little better BC by design. And I believe that's why Knight Rifles never moved forward with them as well. They saw some tumbling as well. We will make a 215grn Bloodline im sure for Knight very shortly.

The new 215grn CF bullet by Lehigh Defense shoots good at 100 yards and 200 yards. I was shooting them last night in the pouring rain. I think the bullet being shortened was better for sabots and I think its gonna be an all around better bullet until somebody makes a longer sabot for 40cal bullets.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

You seem to following the same mindset as me. Is Lehigh trying to cater to a very small audience? In other words, are all the people associated with these bullets/company categorized as 200-400 yard shooters, interested in building bullets unlike what the 95% audience have been pursuing the past 15 years or-so?

In other words, are too many honchos at Lehigh from "open terrain America", which is such a small audience of shooters. Most ML shooters live further North and further East, where 100-150 yard shots are considered long. Where mushroom expansion is implanted so heavily in their store purchases.

BTW..... I sometimes shoot my 50/40 260 grain Precision Extremes. Talk about a long, narrow bullet...... they shoot very well, but not at "open terrain distances. But again I must mention that 90% of America want bullets for 150 yards and under. 5% more want up-to 200 yard targets. Then there's the last remaining 5% group that want 200-400 yards....... so many in that group posting either here, or at Modern or Doug's.

I was away from ML messageboards for several years. Now most of the posts and threads are from ML technical employees or designers. So few posts are from "real ML America"..... the Average-Joe shooters/hunters looking for accessories different than what's often discussed on ML boards today.

OK, I'm done ranting for this month and next.....lol
Its sad to read this type of writing but I guess everyone does things differently. All I will say is the BLoodline bullets made by Lehigh Defense are as good at 5 yards as they are at 200 yards. At any time, on any game, at any zip code you choose to use them.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader

But, I still drive a Ford...
I need to work on that!!!
Old 06-26-2015, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Grouse
Old 06-26-2015, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Its sad to read this type of writing but I guess everyone does things differently. All I will say is the BLoodline bullets made by Lehigh Defense are as good at 5 yards as they are at 200 yards. At any time, on any game, at any zip code you choose to use them.
It's sad to read this kind of writing, especially when the real topic here is not a Bloodline Bullet, nor the intentive purposes of shooting under 200 yards.

My intentive purpose is to sound-off an alarm to Lehigh, that sales will be small pounding boards like this with bullets that either don;t expand, or they control expand. Most-all purchasers usually turn-up their nose at such.

I am done here. If you want a failed product, or one that aims at 5% of the ML population, then build one...... I really don't care.

I thought I was done ranting prior. But I can assure you I'm really done clicking on this thread now. I like the Bloodlines B.T.W...... wasn't discussing the Bloodlines.... sad-to-say. Not sure where your head is at... thinking that I was discussing that particular model.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 06-26-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's sad to read this kind of writing, especially when the real topic here is not a Bloodline Bullet, nor the intentive purposes of shooting under 200 yards.

My intentive purpose is to sound-off an alarm to Lehigh, that sales will be small pounding boards like this with bullets that either don;t expand, or they control expand. Most-all purchasers usually turn-up their nose at such.

I am done here. If you want a failed product, or one that aims at 5% of the ML population, then build one...... I really don't care.

I thought I was done ranting prior. But I can assure you I'm really done clicking on this thread now. I like the Bloodlines B.T.W...... wasn't discussing the Bloodlines.... sad-to-say. Not sure where your head is at... thinking that I was.
Ok, Thanks
Old 06-26-2015, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its not hard to alter a CNC or Swiss lathe cutting diagram. Converting a 230gr to a 200gr is only a few clicks away.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 06-26-2015 at 12:03 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.