Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Open sights range? >

Open sights range?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Open sights range?

Old 06-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Ron, how in the heck do you see your sights? That's the reason I had to stop using opens. My close in vision is shot to heck. My distance vision is about as good as it ever was but if I try to read anything closer than 3 feet from me Imma scwued!
Squint! Squeeze eyes tight. That's how. Front sight is still kinda blurry; rear sight is blurry. A peep sight is a great help. A peep sight helped me harvest/kill several deers.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I tried that and can shoot fairly "instinctive" to about 50 yards which is what I do with handgun but they are just so blurry on a rifle or ML'er (especially the rear) and I've always been an extremist when it comes to the perfection of my shooting that I just can't get over it. Glasses that help my close up vision destroys my distance vision. So, devils glass it has to be I guess!
Why? Just shoot at 50yds. That's farther than most bow shots.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The type of sight makes a HUGE difference. I have Lee Shavers BPCR inserts in my globes on my traditional rifles. On my inlines I have factory on one and williams on the other. The sights on the inlines SUCK. I can shoot pretty good with my traditional guns out to 250 yards. I struggle to get much farther than 150 out of the inlines. It is all due to the sights.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

75 yards with a notch rear, 125 with a ghost ring peep sight and a flat shooting load.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it is legal, install an aperture sight, that shold sharpen up your front sight for you.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Why? Just shoot at 50yds. That's farther than most bow shots.
Like I said Pete, I'm basically shooting instinctive and barrel sighting/extension of my arm with open sights. I'm the type that "picks a hair" and shoots at that hair! If I don't feel comfortable enough to lay in a perfect shot I wont take it. Blurry rear sights makes that pretty darn difficult.

Oldtimr, I had a Williams peep on my .444 Marlin for a long time. It does help a little but it was getting a bit on the fuzzy side too so I put some glass on that one as well.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've killed deer cleanly with my .54 flintlock out to 125 yards and a patched ball...

Here is where I have an advantage, she has a 38 inch barrel..

Once I had cataract surgery, I did open up the rear sight which helped see the front sight, I had a very fine sight picture before...

Also, sight in about 2 inches high at 50 and then practice further...With mine I'm sighted in at 75, about 3 inches low at 100 and about 6 inches low at 125...
Old 06-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any of you guys ever try the See All Sight?

I have not, but it sure seems like it would work well for an open sight for failing eyesight. I guess maybe some states it might not be legal?

(I'm sure Muley can't use it. LOL )
Old 06-09-2015, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, it's not legal in muzzy season. Although since i have a license to use a scope in muzzy season I probably could use it. It's legal in rifle season for everybody. (I think)

I did try one. It's pretty weird, but the sight was in focus for me. That part was nice. It would be better than an open sight as both block the bottom of the target, but the SeeAll moves with your head, so you don't need to be centered on the stock. Which makes taking quick shots better. You also don't use a front sight, so nothing to line up. Just put the SeeAll reticle on the target and squeeze.

With all that said. It's not as good as a peep.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

My open sight days are over if possible.

However, I was at the range last weekend and some 20 something was next to me with a AR Style .223. He was shooting open sights and just nailing the Bulls Eye at 100 yards.

I complemented him on his shooting. It was impressive. Moral of the story, it can be done with skill and young eyes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.