Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Information For Using Sabots In Rifle Season In Colorado >

New Information For Using Sabots In Rifle Season In Colorado

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Information For Using Sabots In Rifle Season In Colorado

Old 06-08-2015, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Who did you talk to? Bob Thompson who wrote the email, and the one I talked to on the phone is suppose to be in charge of these questions.

That's why I didn't listen to whoever picks up the phone. I wanted to go to a more reliable source.

His phone number is in the email.
I remember the same type of confusion when I first went to Colorado. If you look at the 2015 Colorado game book it clearly states what you can do and not do in Rifle season for Elk with a Muzzleloader.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I understand that, and I was going to use them this year. The problem came up when asking about the non expanding XP bullet.

He said it's legal in rifle season, because it still falls under the ML laws that doesn't say the bullet needs to expand. This carries over to the rifle season.

With the same thought the 50 cal bore size bullet for elk also carries over to the rifle season.

All I did was put the information out there for everybody to read, and showed the proof. You can even call Bob to back it up.

It's your choice to do as you please. I don't plan on arguing over it.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand that, and I was going to use them this year. The problem came up when asking about the non expanding XP bullet.

He said it's legal in rifle season, because it still falls under the ML laws that doesn't say the bullet needs to expand. This carries over to the rifle season.

With the same thought the 50 cal bore size bullet for elk also carries over to the rifle season.

All I did was put the information out there for everybody to read, and showed the proof. You can even call Bob to back it up.

It's your choice to do as you please. I don't plan on arguing over it.
No argument, thanks for the information.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

We cant use the XP here either. Ive gone round and round with them over it because a hardcast is legal and expansion is virtually nil.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, we can use it in rifle season for deer size game.

We can't use it in ML season, because it's a sabot, and can't use it in rifle season, because it's too small. Hopefully, the elk part in rifle season will change after they talk about it. It should. That bullet will floor an elk.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Our laws include both firearms and ML seasons. The legal bullet definition is the same for both here. The law was made to prevent FMJ military ammo from being used.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Colorado likes to think they have a primitive ML season.

I guess they call an inline using BH 209, 209 ignition, and a full copper Barnes bullet primitive?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

No, we can use it in rifle season for deer size game.

We can't use it in ML season, because it's a sabot, and can't use it in rifle season, because it's too small. Hopefully, the elk part in rifle season will change after they talk about it. It should. That bullet will floor an elk.
You can get the XP in ,452 and .458 for rifle season deer and elk???

Here is one that you could use in ML season

.500x350

Very easy to knurl to your bore especially in a CVA...
Old 06-08-2015, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, we have to use a full bore .50 in ML season.

In rifle season with a ML we can use a .50 sabot for deer size game. Elk requires the bullet to be at least .500. Either sabot, or full bore.

We have different laws for deer and elk. It would be easier if they put everything in one group, and just call it big game.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

No, we have to use a full bore .50 in ML season.

In rifle season with a ML we can use a .50 sabot for deer size game. Elk requires the bullet to be at least .500. Either sabot, or full bore.

We have different laws for deer and elk. It would be easier if they put everything in one group, and just call it big game.
These are full bore 50 cal bullets...

That is what I am doing loading them full... on top of a wad or in my case a MMP sub-base

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.