Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Disc Elite and Blackhorn >

Knight Disc Elite and Blackhorn

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Disc Elite and Blackhorn

Old 05-30-2015, 08:52 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Default Knight Disc Elite and Blackhorn

today started out looking absolutely beautiful. the sun shining, and only a slight breeze (9 mph) I thought that today would be a good day to shoot. I have a whole day to mess around. I plan on shooting the 58 of course but decided to start out with a knight Disc elite in 50 cal. It was my first antelope gun . It hasn't seen any action in a long time. I didn't remember much except that I shot 130 gr triple 7 in it back when I used it. I decided I wanted to try Blackhorn in it

So I switched out the breechplug and bolt from the 1:20 it had the Lehigh bare primer which by the way I much prefer over the knight bare primer.

it is a .50 cal not a .45 with a Leupold scope.

I started off with 100 gr blackhorn ,Winchester primer,and 250 gr shockwave in original black sabot

this was the first shot

I took shot 2 then adjusted 3 clicks left and got what you see as shot 3

I wasn't real pleased so I decided to increase the powder . I went to 120 gr Blackhorn
this was first shot

then 2 and 3 . I almost quit right there but decided to try 4

this was 4 shots at 100 yards

I definitely knew it was time to quit and make sure I wrote down the load this time as I always forget.

20 grains of blackhorn sure made a world of difference and them Old Elites are one of my favorite knights.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

What you described may be the reason why I return back to shooting Real Black or Pyrodex.
It seems Blackhorn thrives with magnum powder loads - improves accuracy as the powder grain volume rises....... powder numbers that myself (and my bum right shoulder) are trying to avoid. Felt recoil of Blackhorn is in a different league from Real Black and Pyrodex.

You have a real nice 300 yards-capable load right now at 120 grains. Nice shooting!

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 05-30-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great shoot'n