Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Favorite rest?

Old 05-29-2015, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Favorite rest?

Being as how I forgot my shooting rest this past weekend and had to makeshift something that didn't work very well, it got me to wondering what other folks like to use as a rest for target shooting?

I know there are lots of options. Over the years I have owned/used 2 pc rests, and shooting bags. Not sure which I really prefer. Both have their pro's and con's. I have also used a one piece cradle type rest that a buddy had (can't remember the name) which was ok, but I could never really get comfortable with it mainly due to not being able to sit down and use it. It sat up so high, in order to be able to use it properly you'd really have to stand up. Might work fine off the hood of a truck or something, but not well on a bench.

How about you? What do you like and why?
Old 05-29-2015, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

And I guess I should mention, the favorite rest that I have used is the full size Bulls Bag (15" I think it was). I had one for years, loaned it to a buddy and it grew legs. I think I'm going to put it back on my list, everything I've tried since didn't work as well for me.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I shoot target for the smallest possible groups, I use a lead sled. The photo below shows the rest and "Bad Medicine", which I sold.

Most of all my shooting now will be from just a front rest with no rear support.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

My favorite by far. Although I have gotten by quite well with some builders sand placed in a plastic grocery bag inside a pair of old socks.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not use anything fancy. Just a "Rock Jr." I believe it's called, as a front rest. Then I use an old sock filled with rice as a rear rest.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The two arrangements used today.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sandbag in front if the range has one, and my shoulder in the rear.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

A Caldwell for sighting in and then I put it away. I've never seen a handy Caldwell when I'm in the woods. I do most my shooting in field conditions using improvised rests since that's what I'll have when I'm hunting.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
A Caldwell for sighting in and then I put it away. I've never seen a handy Caldwell when I'm in the woods. I do most my shooting in field conditions using improvised rests since that's what I'll have when I'm hunting.
Me too

Old 05-29-2015, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love offhand shooting for practice and hunting. So, once i'm sighted in close I just shoot offhand. I find that the POI changes for me when going from the bench to offhand. No sense in wasting bullets on the bench. I'll do my final sight in from offhand.

Works for me anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.