Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
230g Gold Dot Captured >

230g Gold Dot Captured

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

230g Gold Dot Captured

Old 05-19-2015, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 230g Gold Dot Captured

Scott requested these 45 acp pistol bullets be tried in a rifle. It was snowing and about 33 degrees, so the camera wasn't left out to record the capture, and all the shooting was done from inside the truck. The distance to the first jug was 25 yard. The rifle used was the Omega Dream Season. The breech plug used today was the same one first used in the 'Leaky Primer Thread'. The load was 80g Blackhorn, STS primer, Harvester short sabot . The bullet was found in the second water jug, which had several small holes on the back side, evidently made by small pieces of lead.

The front water jug was pretty much blown up. The second jug was kinda shredded. The remaining bullet weighs 93g.

First thing done this morning was to place a target at 25 yard. The first bullet tried was the 300g XTP in a crush rib sabot. The aim was the middle target, and the bullet hit about 11" high on the top target. The elevation dial was turned down more than 2 revolutions, and a second shot taken with the XTP bullet. It hit left a bit, and near perfect elevation. The windage dial was adjusted right, and a third shot taken with the XTP bullet. Not bad, so next, the Gold Dot was loaded, and shot; the bullet hit near center. Another Gold Dot was loaded, and shot; it hit near center. After seeing where the Gold Dots hit, it seemed it was time to shoot the jugs. After the two jugs were blown up, the target was walked out to 98 yards.

The falling snow made the target hard to see.

The bottom target was the aim at 98 yard, and 3 shots were taken using the Gold Dots, and the 80g powder charge.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well Ron, I'm impressed. Water is pretty tough on a bullet and I wouldn't have expected that 230 grain ACP bullet to make it past the first jug. The expansion is about what I would expect. And Speer's Gold Dots/Deep Curls always seem to hold together well.

I got a kick out of you picture of targets in the snow. It's eighty-nine degrees outside my window right now and we got two inches of rain yesterday evening.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 96 out of 100 of these Speer Gold Dot 230 gr bullets leftover and don't even use them at the range or hunting @ 150 yards. Supposedly they will break-up when adding too much speed.

Same with my 230 gr XTPs. So I parked them on my gun cabinet shelf, to collect dust until further notice. It's the same reason why I won't purchase the 200 grain XTP in 50/40. I have more confidence in using Hornady SSTs and Precision Polymer Tip 50/40s with 90-100 grains of BH powder.

Using 80 grains appears to be fine, as long as you're sticking to 100 yards. Beyond that calls for more fps, that ensures a clean, quick kill/harvest.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 05-19-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
....I got a kick out of you picture of targets in the snow. It's eighty-nine degrees outside my window right now and we got two inches of rain yesterday evening.
We received 1 1/2" of rain a couple three days ago. It was wonderful. Broke a drouth is what it did. We probably won't see eighty nine degrees here until July. What is the humidity there, right now?

Well, i don't suppose you want to hear about my cold wet feet....
Old 05-19-2015, 12:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
I have 96 out of 100 of these Speer Gold Dot 230 gr bullets leftover and don't even use them at the range or hunting @ 150 yards. Supposedly they will break-up when adding too much speed.
I really do not think so - they are a bonded bullet it is very difficult to bust them up.

The XTP's that is a different story altogether. In fact any Hornady I have ever shot or experimented with will come apart at times - not always but at times they do.

Same with my 230 gr XTPs. So I parked them on my gun cabinet shelf, to collect dust until further notice. It's the same reason why I won't purchase the 200 grain XTP in 50/40. I have more confidence in using Hornady SSTs and Precision Polymer Tip 50/40s with 90-100 grains of BH powder.

Using 80 grains appears to be fine, as long as you're sticking to 100 yards. Beyond that calls for more fps, that ensures a clean, quick kill/harvest.

shock waves/sst's

Hornady FTX

Hornady XTP

Speer Deep Curl

Old 05-19-2015, 12:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

What is the humidity there, right now?
Current humidity shows 73%.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sixty percent humid here. Forty six degree, cloudy, and dampish. Thirty five percent humid in the house.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

If that's the case, I'll target some 230 Gold Dots again next range visit. I have a box of 45 cal 180s also.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Following are photos of 230g 45 caliber Gold Dot bullets. Speer calls this Gold Dot bullet, a bullet for 'personal defense'. The recovered bullet on the left was fired from a 45 acp pistol. The recovered bullet on the right was fired from an Omega rifle, pushed by 80g Blackhorn powder.

The bullet on the left weighs 230g. The unfired bullet weighs 230g. The bullet on the right weighs 93g. The water jug in which the 93g bullet was found has little holes in it's back side from pieces of lead thrown from the bullet.

The velocity of the bullet fired from the 45 acp, was about 900 fps when it impacted the 'trap'. The bullet from the rifle impacted the 'trap', traveling at about 1550 fps.

This is not a Deep Curl bullet. This bullet doesn't seem to be as stout as a Deep Curl bullet.

The following photo shows a 300g Deep Curl bullet captured at varying ranges by jugs filled with water, and phone books.

At 45 feet the bullet was traveling at about 1800 fps; it weighs 276g. At 200 yard, the bullet was traveling at about 1300 fps, and weighs 300g. At 300 yard the bullet was traveling at about 1150 fps, and probably weighs 300g.

The Gold Dot doesn't seem able to handle these speeds, whereas the Deep Curl seems to work good.

Speer names the Deep Curl a 'hunting bullet'. Speer calls the Gold Dot a 'personal defense bullet'. It seems that is how they were built.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's what I originally was told. The Gold Dot is not comparable to the Deep Curl in 230 grain.

Now I can go back to letting those two boxes of Gold Dots (230 + 185) collect dust, unless I keep the fps down for 100 yards or less, which I don't subscribe to. .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.