Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
230g Gold Dot Captured >

230g Gold Dot Captured

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

230g Gold Dot Captured

Old 05-20-2015, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had a System-One with a 1 in 38 twist and it liked the 230 Gold Dot shot nice groups with 110 grains of RS. I took a number of deer with the always placing the shot right behind the foreleg.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I've used the 230gr. Speer Gold Dots with success on animals, in my 50 cal rifles.

The 50 cal 300gr. Speer Gold Dot HP is what I like in my 54 call and they work very well at the range on every thing from non working spray paint cans to milk jugs. Made it thru almost 9 inches of wet phone books and still weigh 300gr give or take per unfired weight averages in a box.

Al
Old 05-21-2015, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regarding the two lines of Speer bullets, I thought that with respect to how they were made (bonded), the Deep Curl and Gold Dot were identical, the name change was to address liability concerns. Originally, they were all called Gold Dots.

My guess is that if one Speer bullet is "less tough" than another, it is more due to the shape of the bullet rather than whether it is a GD or DC. That 45cal/230g GD bullet looks like it has a pretty deep hollow point, unlike the 45cal/300g DC. The DC 45cal/250g (Long Colt) is another bullet that does not hold together well in torture tests and it also has a very deep hollow point.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hubby11
Regarding the two lines of Speer bullets, I thought that with respect to how they were made (bonded), the Deep Curl and Gold Dot were identical, the name change was to address liability concerns. Originally, they were all called Gold Dots.

My guess is that if one Speer bullet is "less tough" than another, it is more due to the shape of the bullet rather than whether it is a GD or DC. That 45cal/230g GD bullet looks like it has a pretty deep hollow point, unlike the 45cal/300g DC. The DC 45cal/250g (Long Colt) is another bullet that does not hold together well in torture tests and it also has a very deep hollow point.
You are absolutely correct - Liability - essentially the courts have determined that if you shoot someone with a bullet labeled 'hunting bullet' you are liable for any/all of the collateral damage. But if you were using a 'Home Defense' bullet your liability decreases greatly. I still have a box of 452x300 Gold Dots from before the court decision and a couple of boxes of the newer Deep Curls - If you were to mix them up you would never be able to tell the difference.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't want to use a bullet on big game that loses over half its weight on impact.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

It performed pretty much as i expected. When you shoot a bullet at nearly twice its designed speed it usually pancakes. I was curious though since its a GoldDot.

I had the 250gr DeepCurl over expand almost as bad in water jugs but i dont remember the load data. Im pretty sure it was shot at nearly twice the speed of a 45LC.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I wouldn't want to use a bullet on big game that loses over half its weight on impact.
But does it loose that much weight?

Old 05-21-2015, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

He said it was a 230 grn bullet that he fired into the water jugs and they weighed 93 grains when recovered. That is a substantial loss of weight.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not prone to using a hollow point for hunting anyway. Using a polymer tipped bullet is about as far as I will take it. Hollow points are, in my own personal opinion, made for dropping the 2 legged predator. Have to admit, we are a hell of a lot easier to kill than our 4 legged prey.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Speaking of the XTP's coming apart I never under stood why people had a problem with that?

If the bullet sheds the jacket and the lead core does the job along with that shed jacket all I see wrong is a bigger wound channel and damaged meat.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.