Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Noob Questions Here! >

Noob Questions Here!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Noob Questions Here!

Old 04-15-2015, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Has anyone tried JB Bore Paste on a rusty stainless barrel? I have one that has some rust in the grooves. Actually, it shoots great but I don't like to see it. It is an Optima. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jenks,

Get some Kroil, saturate a patch (and I mean saturate) then pass it through the bore and leave the rifle stand overnight. Saturate another patch and pass it through, leave it stand overnight. Then pass a bronze brush through a couple dozen times and pass a few dry patches through afterward.
Give your bore 50 strokes with a patch smeared with JB, and then do another 50 strokes with a fresh patch smeared with JB. After that, run a few patches saturated with alcohol then clean with your choice of cleaner and dry. You shouldn't see any more rust, Kroil will literally creep underneath rust and loosen it, the brush will help and the JB should polish the bore. If you have pitting afterward, then you'll still have pitting but your bore will be much smoother than it would have been. Pass a wet patch of Barricade or your choice of rust preventative oil through and your good to go til' next time!

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 04-20-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks BPS, I will get some of both and give it a try.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I may have been wrong about the rust. I tried some Hoppes #9 on it and it is slowly removing it. The patch does not come out dark, not of a red color. I was originally using military bore cleaner, it did not seem to do much to remove it. There is not a lot of it, just a streak or two from mid barrel going toward the muzzle. Plastic?? I do not know what was shot in it, I bought it used and did not notice it at first, the gun looked to have been hardly used.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

You do not want to leave Hoppe's #9 in the bore for any length of time. I would not beyond 24 hours, not even in a dry home environment, unsupported by oil immediately afterwards.

I always have Kroil laying around too. I used it in January to clean up a small isolated rust spot in the back-breech of my sidelock Shenandoah. Using Kroil, I can let it soak for a week, if necessary.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see that I mis-spoke. The patches do come out dark, but not red.

I do not have any Kroil yet, but will get some, and some J-B Bore Paste too. I did not know that Hoppes #9 was a danger, I have used it on blued barrels for years, is it a problem only to stainless? I keep guns in a fairly low moisture environment--an a/c home, and have never had any problem with them rusting. I do have a weakness for used guns that have seen some abuse and try to revive them if I can buy them cheaply.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I simply put a toothpick in the touch hole, pour about 6-8 ounces of water down the barrel, tip a few times and pour out most of the residue...I then use a patch on a jag, take out the toothpick, turn the touch hole down, hold my rifle parallel to the ground and push out the rest of the residue...

I then repeat, then use a little WD-40 to displace the water, use a good gun oil in the barrel and then clean the lock and wipe down the rest of the gun...It's really pretty simply, water easily dissolves black powder, no need for a brush when shooting a prb...
Old 04-20-2015, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a CVA Optima V2, I imagine that it was shot with a saboted bullet. Of course, it could have been shot with one of the Powerbelt types or even a lead conical. I have cleaned the rest of the gun and fired it myself with sabots. I have some old sabots with bullets that may have left the residue--I did not notice it until after I had shot it a half dozen times. At any rate, it is accurate so I want to clean the barrel up good and keep it.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I simply put a toothpick in the touch hole, pour about 6-8 ounces of water down the barrel, tip a few times and pour out most of the residue...I then use a patch on a jag, take out the toothpick, turn the touch hole down, hold my rifle parallel to the ground and push out the rest of the residue...

I then repeat, then use a little WD-40 to displace the water, use a good gun oil in the barrel and then clean the lock and wipe down the rest of the gun...It's really pretty simply, water easily dissolves black powder, no need for a brush when shooting a prb...
nchawkeye...

You're a traditionalist... don't you pee down your barrel like the Mountain men did?

BPS
Old 04-21-2015, 04:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope and frankly I don't believe they did either...

Lots of bogus info out there...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.