Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
1851 Navy .44 Load for Pyrodex RS >

1851 Navy .44 Load for Pyrodex RS

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

1851 Navy .44 Load for Pyrodex RS

Old 03-16-2015, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default 1851 Navy .44 Load for Pyrodex RS

Just purchased a Pietta 1851 Navy with the brass frame. I already have a full bottle of RS select and a half bottle of RS. I know there are better choices for powder but can I use either powder and if so, what is the recommended load just for plinking?
Old 03-16-2015, 05:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just what I surmised, I checked with gunboards.com and they sid 20 grs of FFFg. With the Pyrodex RS being more like FFg I probably wouldn't go much more than that. Maybe 25 gr. But I would start at 20.
Best bet would be to see if you can get a manual.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info. Neither of the two manuals that came with it list RS. One manual is Cabelas and one is Piettas. I will look further.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Because it is a brass frame and no top strap, stay at 20 grains of RS. You will have to break the revolver down between loads and wipe out the frame real good, or it might jam up. After you shoot that off, get some Jim Shockey Gold 3f. Stick with 20 grams. And enjoy shooting the pistol.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

What Cayugad said... don't push it with heavy loads. I had a friend that had a brass framed 1851 Navy when we were in high school and he always had to push the limit. Well, for one thing he always had problems with it getting stiff or jamming after loading the cylinder for a second time and for another he had a terrible time breaking it down for cleaning. Another thing, his cylinder pin, being steel, eventually pulled on the threads of the brass frame it was threaded into to a point where it would not thread in as it should and he ended up having to buy another frame. Make sure you always keep the cylinder pin greased well and keep the loads light... no more than 20-22 grains, Remember, it's brass, not steel.

BPS
Old 03-18-2015, 07:19 AM
Dominant Buck

I had the same revolver when I was very young. Like sixteen or maybe seventeen. And I used to shoot Pyrodex P in it. 15 grains was all I would load. In fact I had a 15 grain spout on a metal powder horn and loaded right out of the horn into the cylinder. The spout has a lock out switch. It was sure an accurate revolver. And really fun to shoot.

But the thing chain fired on me one day and I forget how many of the cylinders went off. Scared the devil out of me. But it shook the front sight off it and stretched the frame. So I had a gunsmith fix it. Actually the gun smith is kind of famous in the muzzleloading world as he makes lots of muzzleloading things now. His name is Ted Cash. From Waunakee, Wi. Excellent smith. He makes cappers, flasks, and other things. When I knew him he worked out of his basement.

He had to cut a bunch of stuff off/back and why I don't understand but he shortened the barrel. But he said it was safe to shoot again. I wanted no part of it and sold it as a wall hanger to a person.

These revolvers are not for hunting IMO. But you can if you want. So why worry about a huge load of powder. You're not shooting for distance, and the smaller loads seem to be the more accurate loads. I always considered them a novelty type weapon. You shot them for fun because you can. Even now, in my 1858 New Army which can take a 35 grain load... I shoot 20. Its a lot more powerful at the close ranges then you think it is. And I sure like the boom!! and the smoke.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Those BP revolvers always interested me but man I don't think I'd like all the work loading and cleaning them. That's likely the reason I don't have a couple hanging around. Now give me a conversion in 38-40 or 44-40 and I'd be a happy camper.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm with you Bronko. My brother-in-law has a Ruger Old Army. I've shot it a time or two but didn't really take to it.

But I've always wanted one of these in .44 caliber.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I'm with you Bronko. My brother-in-law has a Ruger Old Army. I've shot it a time or two but didn't really take to it.

But I've always wanted one of these in .44 caliber.

I like the Pedersoli target flintlock pistol better.

A black powder revolver is not that hard to clean. I take the wooden handles off, strip the revolver down to parts, then make up some dish soap water. With a tooth brush, a baby bottle brush, and some time I can have that thing spotless. Especially since I went to JSG Powder.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

A black powder revolver is not that hard to clean. I take the wooden handles off, strip the revolver down to parts, then make up some dish soap water.
My B-I-L takes the grips off of his stainless Old Army and puts it in the dishwasher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.