Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BH209 and recoil

Old 03-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by donw
That amazes me you'd say that about T7.
I agree with the scope thing!
I'm not shooting production loads or a production rifle, which may make the difference in feel for me.

DO NOT SHOOT THE FOLLOWING LOAD/S FROM YOUR RIFLES......
I'm comparing 180grs (3-T7M pellets) to 100grs weight (143grs volume) of BH.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've also noticed that when using equal amounts by volume (100 gr) that BH209 has substantially more recoil than Pyrodex RS. Howerver, that being said, BH209 should give you more velocity and in my case slightly better accuracy. Is it worth the extra pounding? That's up to you if you want to take it with the additional benefit of not having to swab between shots.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pyro RS is pretty soft recoiling. Only a bit more than real BP, and maybe equal.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I've also noticed that when using equal amounts by volume (100 gr) that BH209 has substantially more recoil than Pyrodex RS. Howerver, that being said, BH209 should give you more velocity and in my case slightly better accuracy. Is it worth the extra pounding? That's up to you if you want to take it with the additional benefit of not having to swab between shots.
BH209 should be more on the power order of T7 than Pyro, which is weaker than both.
And yes, it is worth the extra pounding in my rifle. When I'm shooting at game, I really do not even feel the recoil. Offhand shooting, in general, hurts less than bench, though.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well their is certainly going to be a difference at some point when you switch from a low explosive to a progressive burning powder.
In fact there is liable to be several points at which there is a feel able difference.
A low explosive has a set rate burn so it actually works best with a light load, Blackhorn is going to be almost the opposite because progressive burn powder burns more efficiently with a heavy load and more pressure. That's why you will find 777 working very well with loads at 110 and lighter bullets it will actually be a bit faster. Blackhorn will be faster with 120 grain loads and heavy bullets. A low explosive has a very sharp pressure peak and Blackhorn has a lower longer pressure peak. 777 at 120 grains and Blackhorn at 135 grains will have about the same maximum pressure peak but Blackhorn pressure peak will be more than twice as long. If it were not for the crud-ring I would use 777 for a lot of loads and bullets but it just is not practical to use it in high humidity areas, but the people who live in a high altitude area have great luck with it.

Last edited by lemoyne; 03-07-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by donw
BH209 should be more on the power order of T7 than Pyro, which is weaker than both.
And yes, it is worth the extra pounding in my rifle. When I'm shooting at game, I really do not even feel the recoil. Offhand shooting, in general, hurts less than bench, though.
No doubt you don't notice the recoil when shooting at game. But the original post was stating that BH209 has more felt recoil than T7. The answer is yes all other things being equal simply by the very nature of their different burn characteristics. IMO where I hunt shots are normally <75 yards. Most of the time a lot closer. So a milder shooting Pyro RS than is equal to or just slightly less accurate than BH209 is plenty sufficient and allows me to shoot all day at the range (swabbing of course). And more practice = more confidence.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Personally never noticed the difference. I'm not recoil sensitive, but will wear a Simms pad if I know I'll be shooting a lot of big game rifles. Now I normally shoot 90 to 100 gr loads for hunting. My bullets are 300 gr. XTP or Parkers. The longest I have ever shot was when I tested the BH209 to see how long I could go without needing to swab the barrel. I went 24 shots and swabbed the barrel to see what I found. It was virtually clean enough to keep shooting without a swab. But I was shooting 95 gr. loads and didn't notice any recoil pain mostly because I was using a Simms pad. But I would say the BH209 did have a different recoil then the other powders.

Now as to the scopes and eye relief. This has always been a bone with me. I don't believe the 3.5" to 4.5" eye relief is comfortable. Especially if you would be using the maximum range on a variable scope. Something in the range of 4.5" to 5" minimum would be more comfortable. How much of a pain would that cause for the manufacturers to fix? I had a major problem with the Knight Vision's eye relief:

I had to find an offset ring to fix my problem. I could have changed the LOP and cut down the stock, but really why should I have to do this on a new gun. Bad on you Knight!!!

I would say that the Simms pad or one like it would be an easy fix. Recoil and sound report is never a problem when taking that game shot. Who remembers them? But a fun filled day at the range, would need some form of shoulder protection. Constant pounding to your should and high levels of loud noise to your hearing requires some form of protection! Should be common sense. As an aside, I worked on an aircraft flightline for over 26 years working on jet fighters and wore two forms of ear protection and am finally beginning to lose my hearing now after more then 25 years. So even with good protection, you still have to realize it will have some form of bad effects to your body.

Sorry for the soap box guys!!!