Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Choke tube system for a White BG series Thunder >

Choke tube system for a White BG series Thunder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Choke tube system for a White BG series Thunder

Old 03-05-2015, 05:18 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default Choke tube system for a White BG series Thunder

Hi folks - while putzin with a White BG series Thunder. I am trying to find what Choke tube would fit this BP shotgun.

It appears to have a Hasting .665 in now but I feel it does not screw in properly as I can still see threads when looking down the barrel. The throat needs to be longer to cover those threads and blend in to the chamfer.
While by far I an no expert I sure wouldn't want to shoot this thing with exposed threads.

I have other similar choke tubes some longer but I don't want to force them. I have tried a brass brush on a drill to scrub the threads. I am going to a gun smith tomorrow to hopefully get those threads clean. I am sure they are dirty.

So anybody have a White BG series Thunder with an extended turkey choke? It was the only choke I got with the gun. The tube will bottom 'out' on the barrel but it feels like it is only biting a portion of the threads in the barrel and like I said I can still see threads.

Thanks for any help
JW

Last edited by JW; 03-06-2015 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Hastings .650 turkey choke for my Thunder, but have never used it. I like the extra full choke that came with the gun from White, probably a Hastings also. The Xfull choke out to 35 yds will put down a squirrel easily an should do the same for a turkey. My choke tubes an even the .650 Hastings choke goes all the way to the end of the guns threads. Something isn't right if yours doesn't I would think, like you said.

Not much help tho...

I wish the turkey population here was better so I could give it a try...

Last edited by toytruck; 03-06-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:38 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Thank you sir!

While I had this BP gun for 3 yrs now it was a demo piece for my Hunter Education classes. I have always wanted to shoot it - but this being retired takes up too much time.
So as I was cleaning in for the quarterly - go over everything you got - I took a good look at it and found that the choke tube only grabbed about 3 to 4 turns of the barrel threading. So using a bore light it told me right off - Not good! Glad I didn't shoot it.
So off to a gunsmith I went. I have asked for the threads to be cleaned and then fitted with the correct chokes. The choke that was on it was the only choke I got. Not a problem at all.
And now I know it is indeed a Hastings choke tube. While Hastings if out of business I am sure I can find a Carlson to fit.
Anxious now to go blow some smoke with it finally.

Thanks again TT
JW
Old 03-08-2015, 05:03 PM
JW
Super Moderator

With some more research for anyone interested the White BG Series Thunder uses a CT II choke tubes or Verney-Carron choke tubes.

12ga choke tubes are approximately 2.1" long and 20ga choke tubes are approximately 1.9" long.

Thanks to a fellow White BG series shooter.

So now I know what I need to buy.

JW
Old 03-27-2015, 01:22 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Well crap - finally got the correct choke tube only to find that the gun had been dropped which smacked the ram rod brass end on the barrel. This was because of the wrong choke in the gun - while the choke tube it came with looked like it fit, it was a slightly smaller diameter - And being dropped somehow the brass tip put a flat spot on the barrel at that spot.
This Flat Spot stopped the correct Choke tube from being screwed in the barrel. The gunsmith got it back to round but in doing so the barrel lug (which holds the barrel to the stock) was so corroded (really couldn't see that with the barrel off) broke off the barrel. Now the lug needs to be welded back on.

Always a good thing though. Had I shot it - potential to launch that barrel back at me. Someone could have gotten hurt like me.
Will need to find something else to whack ole Mr Tom.

and yes I will have that lug welded back on......
Crap

JW
Old 03-27-2015, 02:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bummer.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

Your luck sounds like mine...

I sent off and received the .665 Hastings choke for my Thunder. It fits like a glove. Now to find a subject to try it on...

Thank you JW!