Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
BH209 Fouling for 1st shot accuracy--report and ?? >

BH209 Fouling for 1st shot accuracy--report and ??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BH209 Fouling for 1st shot accuracy--report and ??

Old 01-22-2015, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

Triple Se7en go here http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_gunlube.php 1st paragraph says it is a CLP Also it operating range is -130 to 1250 deg F. It does get everything.

Lube your bore with it, wait 10 minutes then dry patch the bore. Your bore will be dry to the touch but still lubed and will not collect dust.

And no I don't work for Slip 2000, the thing is when I find something that works I tend to tell everyone any way I can.

Read the rest of the page and it will impress you.

Last edited by d.winsor; 01-22-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

donw
I also use Elite Hoppes And the reason is simple its works best.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by donw
d.winsor, I read your entire cleaning between shots procedure http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...sistent-3.html
here, and I was wondering why you use Hoppes Elite (Gun Cleaner, I presume) and then Slip 2000, when Slip 2000 lube claims to also clean? Did you ever try just Slip 2000 between shots?
My cleaning procedure is consistent enough for me. No I have never tried it alone. I know it is a clp but I like to use a solvent first and Hopp's gun cleaner is not an oil based solvent. Works for me.
I use birchwood casey 2 in 1 when I get home, I like something that attacks plastic fast. Slip 2000 will do it but I suspect it acts slower. Hopp's elite gun cleaner does not get plastic. Once I use birchwood casey I use Hoppe's to clean out the birchwood as it leaves a protective layer and I don't know if it will react with Slip 2000 or not.
Slip 2000 also displaces water, good to use behind Hopp's elite.
As far as the range I use Hopp's elite gun cleaner and Slip 2000 only. As I said consistent enough for me.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

d.winsor, I read your entire cleaning between shots procedure http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...sistent-3.html
here, and I was wondering why you use Hoppes Elite (Gun Cleaner, I presume) and then Slip 2000, when Slip 2000 lube claims to also clean? Did you ever try just Slip 2000 between shots?
You peaked my interest so I read my previously written procedure for Cleaning the gun entirely after a range session and for swabbing between shots on the gun range. I saw no inconsistencies.

If you could please describe where I was inconsistent in anything. I would be interested in knowing.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by d.winsor
You peaked my interest so I read my previously written procedure for Cleaning the gun entirely after a range session and for swabbing between shots on the gun range. I saw no inconsistencies.

If you could please describe where I was inconsistent in anything. I would be interested in knowing.
I never said I saw any inconsistencies. I was just wondering if you'd ever experimented at the range with only Slip 2000.

Another question for you. Have you ever done your range cleaning method for several shots and then done several more shots without cleaning to see how this two sets of groups line up? I'd be curious.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

No I have never altered my range cleaning method. I originally was looking for a way to stop 1st shot fliers, I tried shooting caps, cleaning out the lube, using only solvent, etc I knew a fouled barrel worked, as I could see that at the range. When I started lubing with slip 2000 my first shot fliers ceased and follow up shots were well within limits.
I thought about using slip 2000 gun lube by itself, but hoppe's elite gun cleaner is suppose to clean down to the pours of the metal, since slip 2000 lubes down to the pours of the metal I thought they were a good match.
I spent a lot of time trying things and when I found lubing my barrel with slip 2000 after cleaning it with Hoppe's elite worked I didn't fool with anything further.
Maybe this summer I will try Slip 2000 gun lube as you mentioned. I normally shoot 2 to 4 hours at a range session, cleaning between every shot allows my barrel to cool down in 90 deg weather, I have never had any problem with plastic but between Birchwood Casey and Slip 2000 I don't think I will.

Last edited by d.winsor; 01-22-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Here's an idea. Between each shot, simply run a dry patch (or maybe an alcohol patch) a couple of times. Then run the Slip 2000 patch/dry patch. After I shot 14 or so BH209 rounds, I was able to clean out all the visible fouling with two dry patches (I'm sure there was some left in the rifling, though).
Old 01-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Here's an idea. Between each shot, simply run a dry patch (or maybe an alcohol patch) a couple of times. Then run the Slip 2000 patch/dry patch. After I shot 14 or so BH209 rounds, I was able to clean out all the visible fouling with two dry patches (I'm sure there was some left in the rifling, though).

It sounds good, now go home and clean and lube it. Next day take it out of the safe and without cleaning out the oil, you can dry patch only before loading and see if 1st shot is in the group. If it is you have got a winner.

Last edited by d.winsor; 01-22-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that it is great that this works for you. Power to you. However, that is a LOT of work. You obviously don't mind the work and extra time and expense, but I want a powder that I can use without all that work.

BH 209 is that powder for me. I take it to the range and shoot up to 30 times without running one swab through the bore. Clean the bore with hoppes and lube with Montana xtreme bore conditioner when I get home from a normal range session. Then I clean out the breechplug with solvent and a drillbit.

When I am going to hunt, I shoot 2-3 times at the range and then load up for the hunt without swabbing once and I am good to go. I get good accurate consistency that way and it is somewhat of a bother to have to shoot it a couple of times before loading for a hunt, but a lot less than what you are doing.

Again, it works for you and I wouldn't change a thing, but if I had to do all that, then BH 209 is no better than the other cheaper powders in my hands. I have a 20 year old renegade without rust or pits that attests to that.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by txhunter58
I think that it is great that this works for you. Power to you. However, that is a LOT of work. You obviously don't mind the work and extra time and expense, but I want a powder that I can use without all that work.

BH 209 is that powder for me. I take it to the range and shoot up to 30 times without running one swab through the bore. Clean the bore with hoppes and lube with Montana xtreme bore conditioner when I get home from a normal range session. Then I clean out the breechplug with solvent and a drillbit.

When I am going to hunt, I shoot 2-3 times at the range and then load up for the hunt without swabbing once and I am good to go. I get good accurate consistency that way and it is somewhat of a bother to have to shoot it a couple of times before loading for a hunt, but a lot less than what you are doing.

Again, it works for you and I wouldn't change a thing, but if I had to do all that, then BH 209 is no better than the other cheaper powders in my hands. I have a 20 year old renegade without rust or pits that attests to that.
Amen!

I can not get with the clean barrel - first shot thing. For hunting all of my rifle shot with a semi-fouled barrel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.