HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - BH209 Fouling for 1st shot accuracy--report and ??
Old 01-22-2015, 09:58 AM
d.winsor
Fork Horn

No I have never altered my range cleaning method. I originally was looking for a way to stop 1st shot fliers, I tried shooting caps, cleaning out the lube, using only solvent, etc I knew a fouled barrel worked, as I could see that at the range. When I started lubing with slip 2000 my first shot fliers ceased and follow up shots were well within limits.
I thought about using slip 2000 gun lube by itself, but hoppe's elite gun cleaner is suppose to clean down to the pours of the metal, since slip 2000 lubes down to the pours of the metal I thought they were a good match.
I spent a lot of time trying things and when I found lubing my barrel with slip 2000 after cleaning it with Hoppe's elite worked I didn't fool with anything further.
Maybe this summer I will try Slip 2000 gun lube as you mentioned. I normally shoot 2 to 4 hours at a range session, cleaning between every shot allows my barrel to cool down in 90 deg weather, I have never had any problem with plastic but between Birchwood Casey and Slip 2000 I don't think I will.

Last edited by d.winsor; 01-22-2015 at 11:45 AM.