Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Flintlock Barrel Decision >

Flintlock Barrel Decision

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Flintlock Barrel Decision

Old 01-11-2015, 09:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Flintlock Barrel Decision

Well guys, I already have two Lyman Great Plains flintlocks, one in .50 caliber and one in .54 caliber. I just acquired another one in .54 caliber that I sure don't need. but was a "can't pass it up" deal.

I'm thinking of going one of two ways.

1. See if Bobby Hoyt or Ed Rayle will agree to re-bore it to .58 caliber with a slow twist for round ball. They may be reluctant to do that because of the 15/16" barrel. But factory production .58's with 15/16" barrels were available back in the 70's. I'd keep the loads down to 95 grains or less.

2. Have it relined to .45 caliber with shallow rifling and a fast twist for shooting those big 465 grain conicals that I have become a fan of.

Assuming both options are available, what would you do?
Old 01-12-2015, 02:54 AM
Typical Buck

You know what my vote would be for. GRIN.

I've been toying with the idea of trying to get a 54cal bbl from Lyman for my Left handed Deerstalker. In talking to Doc White. He suggested getting a 58cal with shallow groves as there is a more selection of bullets for the 58. Don't know if I'll do either right now as funds are a little low. Plus the amount of deer I see especially on state game lands don't warrant the money I would have to spend.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get the 45cal barrel for it.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Assuming both options are available, what would you do?
I would devise Plan 3.
Seek Bobby Hoyt or Ed Rayle to either convert an inline to 1:66 twist, or build a new barrel fitting to shoot roundballs accurately with a slip-in barrel, at medium-long distances.

Then afterwards, work-out some materials and fabrics that when used as roundball patches, can withstand 120-150 grains of powder without disintegrating.

It would fit right in being you!!... semi-sane..... right?
Old 01-12-2015, 08:29 AM
Dominant Buck

I have always wanted a "White Rifle Quality ans Characteristics Barrel" in a flintlock. Just the idea of having a flintlock that shoots like a White Rifle would be my idea of perfect. My only concern is, could the stock take the pounding. A tang takes a lot of the pressure from the ignition.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semi, my friend has been looking for a used .54 flinter round ball shooter for a while now and can't find one. I've also been keeping my eyes open. If it's in good shape another option is to sell it to me (him) at a nominal profit and then you won't have the extra expense of having the barrel worked. And we all know you surely don't need another muzzy. To me it's a win win situation!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2015, 07:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's a strong possibility Bronko. I'm looking into a barrel now from Howard Kelly at Watertown Rifle Works. Depending on what I find out we may have a deal to work out.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's a strong possibility Bronko. I'm looking into a barrel now from Howard Kelly at Watertown Rifle Works. Depending on what I find out we may have a deal to work out.
Friend, we are looking for an entire rifle (lock, stock, and barrel)! Maybe you can just buy the .58 as a drop in for one of your other Lymans?
Old 01-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dang Bronko! I misread your first post and thought you were looking for just a barrel.

But what you suggest is a possibility. I hadn't even considered just getting an extra barrel for one of the other Great Plains (tunnel vision?). I'll keep that possibility in mind as I explore the barrel options.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dang Bronko! I misread your first post and thought you were looking for just a barrel.

But what you suggest is a possibility. I hadn't even considered just getting an extra barrel for one of the other Great Plains (tunnel vision?). I'll keep that possibility in mind as I explore the barrel options.
Let me know. Besides, you don't want to catch up to Cayugad and his number of front stuffers do you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.