Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Remington 700 Ultimate setup..... >

New Remington 700 Ultimate setup.....

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Remington 700 Ultimate setup.....

Old 01-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Remington 700 Ultimate setup.....

I may have said this before but, an owner of a new RU asked me to setup his rifle, to which I gladly accepted the chance. I like the rifle and hope things work out for the owner.

Sorry about the poor photos.........

First thing I noticed with his stock, was the cutout in the stock for the bolt. Its certainly longer than necessary.

Then I decided to scope the barrel to find out what needed to be done before firing. Before I put the scope in the barrel, the first thing I noticed, was how they cut the lands deeper right at the end of the barrel. My suspicion is to make loading the sabot/bullet easier.

I ran the scope down the barrel and WTH??? Now nothing has been in the barrel, as this came right out of the box. However I knew the barrel needed a good cleaning before any confirmation could be made. Now if this wouldn't concern a new owner, nothing will.

I then started working that barrel. Ran a solvent patch down it, then started with the brush. I ran another solvent patch, then again started brushing. Repeated for about 45 minutes. Then after my last brushing for the evening, I ran another solvent patch both sides, then another. They started becoming cleaner, then down to a couple dry patches and they came out totally white.

Now most may not even scope a new bore or a bore at all. Looking at those clean patches, most would consider that barrel clean. This may be the mistake some owners reporting poor accuracy are doing. I scoped the barrel again and it was obvious Remington put something in that barrel and VERY hard to remove. I lubed the barrel and put it up for the night.

The next morning after I got myself together, I started back in on the rifle, spending now a total of about 2 hours, brushing and swabbing. What I initially thought may be bad rust and pitting, was being removed with no signs of rust or pits. However what ever they put in that rifle barrel, is a darn bugger to remove. Its better than I expected it would turn out but, more work is necessary. Its quite obvious in the following photo the barrel needs more cleaning, to get that black gunk out.

I lubricated the barrel again and will start back brushing again. I've received a couple recommendations on how to clean it faster and easier..... without the stock on the barrel.

I wanted to lubricate the entire rifle and when I started to remove the action and barrel bolts, it was evident they were never torqued properly. I'd bet the weren't tight to 20 in/lbs. Removed the bolts, then removed the trigger guard and plate. Set that aside, then removed the stock. I noticed a mark on the barrel, obviously from the ramrod seating, the other where the action bolts. I'll look over why that ramrod marks the barrel next time cleaning......

I lubricated the entire barrel an action, then it was time to reassemble the rifle. When I picked up the trigger guard and plate, I noticed what I first though may be a paper shim WHAT?! It fit perfectly under the assembly on top the stock. However after my initial shock of finding it, it most likely is a piece someone in a hurry didn't see during assembly. I hope..

Tomorrow I'll remove the stock, set that aside, then spray a patch with de-greaser and swab the barrel, then brush. Yes, I'll make sure the barrel is well lubricated when finished. The owner's scope didn't arrive in time, so he will be sending that probably after next weekend. By that time, I should have the barrel spic and span. He ordered a Leupold VX3 4.5-15x50 with the CDS turret. One piece base and Leupold standard rings. Once I receive and install the scope, the bench is right out back

The owner has asked that I share the entire process, so others may learn and/or others may suggest.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

No photos attached??? Files to large for one post?????

Just click on where the photo should be.......
Old 01-05-2015, 02:57 AM
Fork Horn

Overall, how would you rate the quality of the rifle?

Looking forward to your range report.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BuckDoeHunter
Overall, how would you rate the quality of the rifle?

Looking forward to your range report.
I like it so far but, would also like to shoulder the laminate stock. Up to this point, the only negative issue I have with it, is the Ziebart like coating inside the barrel and how hard it is to remove. IMO that could certainly contribute to some of the negative accuracy reports. Its been suggested to use mineral spirits, or actual varnish remover to get it out of the barrel. OF COURSE THE STOCK WOULD BE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROOM. What ever Remington used in the barrel, they should have provided a safe method to remove it in the manual.

The owner has requested that the recommended propellant be shot from it, which is fine. I will not reprime the cases over one time. One other owner has already noticed gas leaking on his 3rd repriming of the brass. Once the scope arrives and it gets mounted and everything torqued properly, (and warms up), I can start shooting.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rifle is being sent back to Remington who wants to re-barrel it. Just click on "Sorry".

Old 01-06-2015, 02:03 AM
Fork Horn

Can't open the "sorry" from my smart phone for some reason. Why is it going back to Remington for a re- barrel
Old 01-06-2015, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sbuff
Can't open the "sorry" from my smart phone for some reason. Why is it going back to Remington for a re- barrel
I have no clue why the photos don't show up in the forum. They do every place else. If its the forum not allowing photobucket photos or my settings, I don't know. Read the long post above.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

I'll stick to my whites
Old 01-06-2015, 10:19 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by sbuff
I'll stick to my whites
+1 Amen......,..,.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

When its re-barreled, my suspicion is it will be a great 300yd rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.