HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Remington 700 Ultimate setup.....
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 12:12 PM
BarnesAddict
Nontypical Buck

Default New Remington 700 Ultimate setup.....

I may have said this before but, an owner of a new RU asked me to setup his rifle, to which I gladly accepted the chance. I like the rifle and hope things work out for the owner.

Sorry about the poor photos.........

First thing I noticed with his stock, was the cutout in the stock for the bolt. Its certainly longer than necessary.

Then I decided to scope the barrel to find out what needed to be done before firing. Before I put the scope in the barrel, the first thing I noticed, was how they cut the lands deeper right at the end of the barrel. My suspicion is to make loading the sabot/bullet easier.

I ran the scope down the barrel and WTH??? Now nothing has been in the barrel, as this came right out of the box. However I knew the barrel needed a good cleaning before any confirmation could be made. Now if this wouldn't concern a new owner, nothing will.

I then started working that barrel. Ran a solvent patch down it, then started with the brush. I ran another solvent patch, then again started brushing. Repeated for about 45 minutes. Then after my last brushing for the evening, I ran another solvent patch both sides, then another. They started becoming cleaner, then down to a couple dry patches and they came out totally white.

Now most may not even scope a new bore or a bore at all. Looking at those clean patches, most would consider that barrel clean. This may be the mistake some owners reporting poor accuracy are doing. I scoped the barrel again and it was obvious Remington put something in that barrel and VERY hard to remove. I lubed the barrel and put it up for the night.

The next morning after I got myself together, I started back in on the rifle, spending now a total of about 2 hours, brushing and swabbing. What I initially thought may be bad rust and pitting, was being removed with no signs of rust or pits. However what ever they put in that rifle barrel, is a darn bugger to remove. Its better than I expected it would turn out but, more work is necessary. Its quite obvious in the following photo the barrel needs more cleaning, to get that black gunk out.

I lubricated the barrel again and will start back brushing again. I've received a couple recommendations on how to clean it faster and easier..... without the stock on the barrel.

I wanted to lubricate the entire rifle and when I started to remove the action and barrel bolts, it was evident they were never torqued properly. I'd bet the weren't tight to 20 in/lbs. Removed the bolts, then removed the trigger guard and plate. Set that aside, then removed the stock. I noticed a mark on the barrel, obviously from the ramrod seating, the other where the action bolts. I'll look over why that ramrod marks the barrel next time cleaning......

I lubricated the entire barrel an action, then it was time to reassemble the rifle. When I picked up the trigger guard and plate, I noticed what I first though may be a paper shim WHAT?! It fit perfectly under the assembly on top the stock. However after my initial shock of finding it, it most likely is a piece someone in a hurry didn't see during assembly. I hope..

Tomorrow I'll remove the stock, set that aside, then spray a patch with de-greaser and swab the barrel, then brush. Yes, I'll make sure the barrel is well lubricated when finished. The owner's scope didn't arrive in time, so he will be sending that probably after next weekend. By that time, I should have the barrel spic and span. He ordered a Leupold VX3 4.5-15x50 with the CDS turret. One piece base and Leupold standard rings. Once I receive and install the scope, the bench is right out back

The owner has asked that I share the entire process, so others may learn and/or others may suggest.