Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lyman Deerstalker Question >

Lyman Deerstalker Question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman Deerstalker Question

Old 12-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default Lyman Deerstalker Question

I went to the range today and decided to try my 350gr HP Gould bullets that I normally shoot with my 45cal White ML in my 50cal Lyman Deerstalker with a Black smooth Harvester Sabot and 80gr of 3F Goex Black Powder. I was pleasantly surprised at 50 yds considering my old eyes and Progressive lenses. The group was about 1.5-2". I was pleasantly surprised. I then went and tried the same load but with Hornadys 385gr Great Plains bullet and WOW I actually got a clover leaf right at the bottom of the black. I sight my rifles in like they taught us in the Marine Corp. Point of Aim, equals Point of Impact. I didn't push my luck and decided to call it quits for the day. I know when to quite on a high note. GRIN

The only thing I don't like about the Deerstalker is the trigger pull. It must be at least 10lbs. At least it feels that way. Does anybody know if the trigger pull can be lightened, or do you know of any after market triggers or if anybody sells/makes a double triggers for them?

In any case if the Gods smile down on me, the stars are aligned and a doe/buck can stand still long enough broadside, I just might get lucky. That is if she goes off. GRIN
Old 12-20-2014, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by edmehlig
I went to the range today and decided to try my 350gr HP Gould bullets that I normally shoot with my 45cal White ML in my 50cal Lyman Deerstalker with a Black smooth Harvester Sabot and 80gr of 3F Goex Black Powder. I was pleasantly surprised at 50 yds considering my old eyes and Progressive lenses. The group was about 1.5-2". I was pleasantly surprised. I then went and tried the same load but with Hornadys 385gr Great Plains bullet and WOW I actually got a clover leaf right at the bottom of the black. I sight my rifles in like they taught us in the Marine Corp. Point of Aim, equals Point of Impact. I didn't push my luck and decided to call it quits for the day. I know when to quite on a high note. GRIN

The only thing I don't like about the Deerstalker is the trigger pull. It must be at least 10lbs. At least it feels that way. Does anybody know if the trigger pull can be lightened, or do you know of any after market triggers or if anybody sells/makes a double triggers for them?

In any case if the Gods smile down on me, the stars are aligned and a doe/buck can stand still long enough broadside, I just might get lucky. That is if she goes off. GRIN
ed,

Yes there is a remedy for your trigger pull issue. I have disassembled several locks of my own, stoned and polished all of the bearing surfaces until they were very smooth with no burrs whatsoever and reassembled them. It makes a BIG difference but if you're not comfortable with doing it yourself, take it to a qualified smith and have them do it. Another option would be to call Track of the Wolf and ask them what they suggest or what services they offer...

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/index.aspx

Ask them what they have as replacement triggers for your rifle. I put a Davis "Deerslayer" double set on one of my rifles and it's butter smooth. You could also call the good fellas at Dixon's Muzzleloading in Kempton, PA and ask what they recommend. They're very knowledgeable with the Lyman rifles and that's where I bought my Davis trigger assembly.

http://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/

Lyman's are great shooters... like most sidelocks, they sometimes just need a little tweaking. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 12-20-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just thought I'd throw this out there for any of you that haven't ever been to Dixon's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC0JxhLc480

My son went to college about 15 miles from their shop so I used to frequent the place... it's a muzzleloader's MECCA!!

BPS
Old 12-21-2014, 04:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Just thought I'd throw this out there for any of you that haven't ever been to Dixon's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC0JxhLc480

My son went to college about 15 miles from their shop so I used to frequent the place... it's a muzzleloader's MECCA!!

BPS

I just love going to Dixon's I'll ask them the next time I'm there.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have the InvestArms Hawkens version made for both Lyman and Cabela's.

Cabela's .54 Cal:

Lyman's .50 Cal

Not sure but I always thought the Deerstalker was a less expensive version of the Hawkens. May be wrong.

Love the double trigger, and they work extremely well. Hope you can be able to swap out the single for a double set trigger!!
Old 12-22-2014, 07:19 AM
Dominant Buck

They sure are beautiful rifles. Shorter barrel then my Trade Rifle. But I would guess they are good shooters.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Rafsob, thanks for the info. I just shot them an email to see if they sell one for a left handed Lyman Deerstalker.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by cayugad
They sure are beautiful rifles. Shorter barrel then my Trade Rifle. But I would guess they are good shooters.
Yes they are. And once I put the Leatherwood scope on the .54 cal. I was amazed at how accurate it was. My eyes are getting old and the scope helps me focus nicely.

What I like most is the ease of handling in the woods. they are jus the right size and length.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Beautiful pieces you have there rafsob!
Old 12-24-2014, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a .50 cal. Investarm Hawken with the year code AN, I think it was made back in the 1980's if I remember right. I bought it used a couple of years ago, it had been shot but was like new. These guns are beautiful rifles! I have a T/C ladder tang sight that I was going to put on it but have not got around to. The downside is that Investarm recommends a max load of only 80 grains of powder with a conical or 90 with RB. That seems a little weak for what appears to be such a well made gun. I only use it on targets now and then so I guess it makes no difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.