Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lyman Deerstalker Question >

Lyman Deerstalker Question

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman Deerstalker Question

Old 01-04-2015, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here `ya go guys.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

Well it looks like I'm stuck with the trigger pull on my Deerstalker. No one make a double set trigger for it and I called Dixon's and they said they would not adjust the trigger pull due to Liability issues. So I guess I'm just have to get use to it. SIGH
Old 01-23-2015, 07:40 PM
Spike

Ed,
Very good gunsmith by me in Orefield,PA that I'm almost certain would work on that trigger for you. Give him a call. Lester Knipe / The Varmint Shop (610) 395-8146.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Bob, I know Lester, he built my 280Remington. Don't know why I didn't think of him. I'll have to give him a call.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2015, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ed,

If the Smith you fellas are talking about is worth his salt, he should be able to smooth that lock up for you, it's not rocket science. Many times the manufactured parts are on the rough side but acceptable for company standard. Many of the internal lock parts on these guns are "cast" parts that may only see a trip through a vibro or tumbler for a short period and then are assembled. Although they function properly, they have a lot of drag to them because cast parts have a "scale" or "bead" surface, even after the tumbling process. Honing and polishing all of the bearing surfaces makes a world of difference.

If your Smith does it right, you should have no want or need for a double set trigger.

BPS
Old 09-05-2016, 02:41 AM
Spike

I realize this is an old thread, but I just joined this forum and I feel I have something to add to this subject. Besides, this thread ended before the OP solved his trigger problem.
I had the same problem. Loved my new-to-me Lyman Deerstalker, but the trigger was too heavy.
After removing and examining the lock system, I discovered that the tiny spring that recesses in the little hole behind the trigger was so stout that I could hardly compress it with my fingers. I replaced it with a weaker spring from a ballpoint pen. This spring turned out to be so weak that the gun wouldn't cock.
So, digging around in a box of springs I had out in the garage, I came up with a slightly stronger "ballpoint" spring and it turned out to be perfect.
My rifle now has a very light, crisp trigger and I couldn't be happier.
By the way, before any hall monitors start blowing whistles at me, I did safety-check this setup by slapping and thumping the cocked rifle from all angles, trying to make the hammer fall without actually touching the trigger.
It didn't.