Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
good used muzzleloader? >

good used muzzleloader?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

good used muzzleloader?

Old 12-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

sorry didnt mean to mislead people....i dont shoot 150 grain loads usually, the sweetspot for my encore is 110 to 120. Back when i first got into inlines the maximum load was 100 grains, so the reason i wanted one that would take 150 is so id have the ability to experiment and find the right load for it.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those experiments are fun, on everything but our right shoulder.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

No kidding. 150gr of powder in a light muzzleloader would be ugly.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with just about everything posted.

A new Wolf at $170 is going to be hard to beat and a great muzzleloader.

If you really want a deal wait till Feb or March during the off season and you can find some used Wolfs for $70 to $100. Be sure to check the barrels for pitting as not all owners clean them properly. You might even hold out and find a used optima for $100

I've bought Knight All Americans and Wolverines for under $50 bucks. Paid as much as $75 for a couple just because why not? . They have been some sleepers in performance.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

the only problem with buying a cva is after shooting it you'll likely shelf your current go-to muzzleloader. i absolutely love mine.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
thanks everybody for the input. I actually stumbled into a deal on a remington genesis, trading a guy an unused encore shotgun barrel for it so its working out nice. I did a little research and they seemed to be fairly well reviewed, and it meets my criteria for 209 primer and will handle up to 150g loads.
I hope it is a good one because a Rem rep told me once that is a gun they want nothing to be apart of or associated with at all anymore.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going to buy a used blackpowder gun, try to find one with a stainless barrel. They can rust too, but not as easily as blued steel. Mine Optima was probably never cleaned before I bought it and it cleaned up well. The only rust was on the firing pin spring and CVA sent me two of them for free. On off season Wally World sometimes sell the stainless Wolf for under $170. It is a great gun but I do love the Optima--seems to be the same thing but just a little bigger.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going to buy a used blackpowder gun, try to find one with a stainless barrel. They can rust too, but not as easily as blued steel. Mine Optima was probably never cleaned before I bought it and it cleaned up well. The only rust was on the firing pin spring and CVA sent me two of them for free. On off season Wally World sometimes sell the stainless Wolf for under $170. It is a great gun but I do love the Optima--seems to be the same thing but just a little bigger.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never had any rust on blued barrels. Maintenance is part of owning a gun.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GOOD OLE BOY
I hope it is a good one because a Rem rep told me once that is a gun they want nothing to be apart of or associated with at all anymore.
I have a Genesis. Bought it from Cabela's years ago when they had a good sale on them. It is what it is, black plastic, "cheap" metal in the "receiver" area, and a blue steel barrel. But like just about any gun, if you point it right and pull the trigger, you have a dead deer.

It has functioned as it should and I've never had any problems with it that were the gun's fault. I haven't heard of anyone else having issues with a Genesis.

I shoot 350 gr Hornady FPBs over 100 gr loose Pyrodex, and have shot a bunch of deer with it. None of them ever indicated they would have preferred being shot with a different gun.

Last edited by UncleNorby; 12-18-2014 at 04:55 AM.