Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
good used muzzleloader? >

good used muzzleloader?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

good used muzzleloader?

Old 12-09-2014, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Wolf is a good option for the price. I have one and it has treated me well for the past few years. There is nothing to worry about in terms of CVA's blowing up- that is old history.

Another option that I would recommend is the TC Impact. My hunting buddy has one, and it is a very nice rifle for the price. I would say it is a step up in quality over the Wolf and is very solidly built. The Impact is slightly over your budget - you can find them on sale for $200 - $230.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
I would bet his Wolf has barely been shot.

It is probably like new with several upgrades and the price is very fair.
Yup! Probably 20 shots at the most, and it looks as new. As is everything in the deal.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scotty, check out the pawn shops in your area. Sometimes they just want to sell something to keep the money flow going and will "bargain" with you. My son bought a stainless T/C Black Diamond for $150 at one, I got a stainless CVA Optima for $140 at another. I had just bought a stainless CVA Wolf at a Wally World sale for $166 or so. I have never shot the Wolf, the Optima seems to fit me better, is very accurate and is easy to clean. Be careful when buying used at a pawn shop, there can be a lot of rust under the fowling, clean the barrel and look if they will let you. Don't buy if they won't. Good luck, and look them over well.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Spike

Yes I would say to check the pawn shops. I bought a couple of Knight LK-93 for a hundred dollars. Both guns had perfect bores . I bought a Knight Disc for 125.00 in perfect shape. A lot of bargains to be found if you will just look.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes I would say to check the pawn shops.
Yes, check out the pawnshops. My .54 FireHawk came from a pawnshop. It appeared to be unfired with a shopworn look: Cost all of $100.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:58 AM
Dominant Buck

The pawn shop around me thinks all their guns are made of gold. I went in there and they had a rusted old CVA Hawkens Rifle. He wanted $250.00 for it. I explained what he really had and he said.. you want it or not. I told him not at that price, and he just turned and walked off. Maybe he got snookered when he bought the thing.. who knows.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:26 AM
Typical Buck

hey you can usually find a tc impact new on sale for 200 why buy somebodys elses headache when you can buy new i have 1 as a back up & use it more than my triumph
Old 12-11-2014, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

thanks everybody for the input. I actually stumbled into a deal on a remington genesis, trading a guy an unused encore shotgun barrel for it so its working out nice. I did a little research and they seemed to be fairly well reviewed, and it meets my criteria for 209 primer and will handle up to 150g loads.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice. I know several folks here have them, they'll probably chime in.

Definitely don't need 150gr loads.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scotty

Disregard that 150 grains horsepoop. It's never been anything more than a ploy by ML manufacturers to show comparisons of bullet speeds to centerfires, in an attempt to get hunters to switch.

Sure, a nice load combo can be achieved using 150, but they are usually rare and nowhere near the norm. You can shoot up-to 200 yards with that Genesis, using smaller grain sizes than that.

If you desire top speed, then also desire top accuracy. Usually 150s aren't a match.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.