Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Weight or volume measure? >

Weight or volume measure?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Weight or volume measure?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Or my state where the ML season is the LAST.

We do offer restricted hunts by lottery in the BEST areas before rifle season. Those areas are sidelock only and no scopes. The traditionalist got the prime areas/time and they always cry for more. Just like a liberal is never happy until everyone is forced to do it THEIR way.

I highly doubt that highend inlines will every impact the ML season in my state. Now you can even use a CF pistol and i dont care one bit. It does not effect me what someone else chooses to shoot. The selfish traditionalist just dont want to share the woods with anyone that is not like minded.

Plain and simple.
The traditionalist really don't have much of a voice anymore. Too small of a group. Over 90% of muzzy hunters now use inlines. That's the group i'm talking about. In Colorado we only have one ML season, and it's right in the middle of the rut for elk. They give us that, because our weapons whether inline, or sidelock are inferior in range to CF guns. When the difference between muzzleloaders and CF guns closes up is when the special season might be changed. It could still be an only ML season, but they could move it out of the rut. I've talked to the DOW before, and the response I get is.........we're keeping our eye on it.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

States like Illinois are slug gun and ML/SML only. You cant even use a centerfire rifle to hunt deer. I would rather use a ML than pay well over $3 a pop for modern slugs. Practice would get insanely expensive.

Im all for giving traditionalists a season...take it from the several month long archery season before firearms. Good luck getting the archery boys to even give up a single day. Make them practice what they preach though, no subs. Real black and PRB or stay at home. There is nothing traditional about Triple7 or Pyrodex and conicals can shoot just as far as a 45/70.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-20-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You still miss the point. He can easily increase his load by 5gr with a volume measure too. I guarantee you if I weighed my volume loads they would be anywhere near 5gr difference. I'd be surprised if they were more than 1gr.

I'd really like to be present to witness you measure by volume and be only 1 grain off.

Are we talking about competitive target shooting now? I thought we were talking about hunting loads?

At issue here for most, their target loads are their hunting loads. However there will be the exception, where a shooter shoots a cheaper bullet throughout the summer for trigger time. I want my hunting loads to be identical to my target loads. Its my expectation of myself, to have 100% confidence in my rifle, load and also myself. Competitive shooters do hunt too.

I'll give you this. If I was shooting in competition i'd weigh the loads. I've competed in competitions over the years, and was always picky about small details. That's part of the fun. I just find it unnecessary for hunting loads shot at average distances that hunters mostly use.
What's at the core of the entire issue here is, how precise does the shooter/hunter what to be AND what the individual shooter is willing to settle for. If I weigh my charges of BH to 75grs (107.1 V), my bullet is perfect for the rifle, my consistency in loading is excellent and I can pack 100yd targets with a tiny hole with 5 rounds, my expectation, is my expectation less worthy than yours with the procedure you use? If you are satisfied with your shooting skills and hunting success, using the methods you use, why are you chastising mine? Every single shooter that I know of, including you, will always tell others and new shooters the following: 'Be consistent with everything you do'. Can you be more consistent than making up your charges by weight?

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 11-20-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Or my state where the ML season is the LAST.

We do offer restricted hunts by lottery in the BEST areas before rifle season. Those areas are sidelock only and no scopes. The traditionalist got the prime areas/time and they always cry for more. Just like a liberal is never happy until everyone is forced to do it THEIR way.

I highly doubt that highend inlines will ever impact the ML season in my state. Now you can even use a CF pistol and i don't care one bit. It does not effect me what someone else chooses to shoot. The selfish traditionalist just don't want to share the woods with anyone that is not like minded.

Plain and simple.
States like Illinois are slug gun and ML/SML only. You cant even use a centerfire rifle to hunt deer. I would rather use a ML than pay well over $3 a pop for modern slugs. Practice would get insanely expensive.

Im all for giving traditionalists a season...take it from the several month long archery season before firearms. Good luck getting the archery boys to even give up a single day. Make them practice what they preach though, no subs. Real black and PRB or stay at home. There is nothing traditional about Triple7 or Pyrodex and conicals can shoot just as far as a 45/70.
Darn well said
Old 11-20-2014, 11:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

At issue here for most, their target loads are their hunting loads. However there will be the exception, where a shooter shoots a cheaper bullet throughout the summer for trigger time. I want my hunting loads to be identical to my target loads. Its my expectation of myself, to have 100% confidence in my rifle, load and also myself. Competitive shooters hunt do hunt too.

I would disagree with this concept. I do not even shoot the same bullet or the same powder load when trying to score on paper. That is a whole different game than hunting.

I would be the first to tell you that the hunting bullet I choose to use is not the most accurate bullet on the market - I know that and really do not care. It provides me two things - the very best terminal performance and very good hunting accuracy.

This is an example of the bullet accuracy at 200 yards. 250 grain Bloodline with 120 grains T7-2f (by volume).

Yet if I were shooting targets for accuracy - it would not be this bullet or this powder load.

Last edited by sabotloader; 11-20-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Sabotloader... at 200 yards I sure would not be angry at that bullet and that accuracy.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
What's at the core of the entire issue here is, how precise does the shooter/hunter what to be AND what the individual shooter is willing to settle for. If I weigh my charges of BH to 75grs (107.1 V), my bullet is perfect for the rifle, my consistency in loading is excellent and I can pack 100yd targets with a tiny hole with 5 rounds, my expectation, is my expectation less worthy than yours with the procedure you use? If you are satisfied with your shooting skills and hunting success, using the methods you use, why are you chastising mine? Every single shooter that I know of, including you, will always tell others and new shooters the following: 'Be consistent with everything you do'. Can you be more consistent than making up your charges by weight?
I get the feeling you're not very good with a powder measure.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Powder loss? I use a volume measure over a bowl. It catches all the spilled powder, and it goes back in the bottle. No loss.

It's important to use the same method everytime. I always over fill the measure, and then tap it with my finger to get it to settle in the measure. Then slice it off even at the top. I then either pour it in tubes for the range, or speedloaders for hunting. It's not a true smokeless powder that needs to be perfect in weighing it. You'll never see a couple of grains either way on the target.
Same way here. I use disgarded pellet tubes as my speed loaders from the range. So far to date, the deer have never found there to be any difference in my just pour/volume, tap charges!!! I carry 3 tubes of powder, 1 with projectiles and 1 with 209's and starter in my jacket pocket. All but the starter are in a zip lok bag.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get the feeling you're not very good with a powder measure.
Well you have a bad feeling then.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
At issue here for most, their target loads are their hunting loads. However there will be the exception, where a shooter shoots a cheaper bullet throughout the summer for trigger time. I want my hunting loads to be identical to my target loads. Its my expectation of myself, to have 100% confidence in my rifle, load and also myself. Competitive shooters hunt do hunt too.

I would disagree with this concept. I do not even shoot the same bullet or the same powder load when trying to score on paper. That is a whole different game than hunting......................

Yet if I were shooting targets for accuracy - it would not be this bullet or this powder load.
First, nice target.

Where's the disagreement on the concept? I did not say ALL, I referred it as "most". Also included one example of an exception. I'd like to ask, when you shoot for "score" using a different bullet and load, how consistent and what process do you use to load?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.