Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wow

Old 11-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Wow

I just watched a clip today on the outdoor channel about muzzleloaders and barrel obstructions. Using different MLs, Alan Trambil and another gentleman loaded the first one with smokeless powder. Another was loaded as normal with 150 gr of BP but the bullet was only seated 1/2 way down the barrel (mid barrel obstruction) and the 3rd was properly loaded the the muzzle was dunked into a cup of mud simulating fall without being removed.
The results were pretty dramatic. The MLs used were all inlines, a bolt action I didn't get the name of, a break open and a CVA Optima.
All 3 rifles literally exploded. The Optima with the mud in the end of the muzzle split the barrel with the top portion coming off at the breech. The bolt action with the smokeless powder as well as the mid bore obstruction exploded into too many pieces to count.
Please be careful out there. I wouldn't want to hear of any of you guys getting hurt. Don't get sidetracked when shooting - especially during the loading process.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

NEVER! and Thank's for the Info
Old 11-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know of two (2) barrels that have ruptured this year. One shooter lost a thumb, the other was unhurt.

WITNESS MARKS ARE A REQUIREMENT, not an option.

Even not getting a bullet fully seated on the propellant, can cause a barrel bulge. IMO at that point, its time for a new barrel to be safe. Any bulge has weakened the barrel.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for the reminder. We all need that from time to time. I like to think I am very careful about barrel obstructions and seated projectiles.

Another thing I have begun demanding is when I am on the firing line loading my rifle, I don't want anyone talking to me or asking questions. I find I have made more near stupid mistakes at that time of the process. When friends are over, I remind them... I'm loading and therefore out of bounds to everyone.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
Another thing I have begun demanding is when I am on the firing line loading my rifle, I don't want anyone talking to me or asking questions. I find I have made more near stupid mistakes at that time of the process. When friends are over, I remind them... I'm loading and therefore out of bounds to everyone.
Same here!
Old 11-10-2014, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shortseated a bullet one time and only one time. Luckily it was with BH 209. All that happened was the powder didn't explode, but the bullet popped out of the muzzle and landed about 15 ft from me. Boy was I lucky I was using BH 209 that day!!
Old 11-10-2014, 04:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by txhunter58
I shortseated a bullet one time and only one time. Luckily it was with BH 209. All that happened was the powder didn't explode, but the bullet popped out of the muzzle and landed about 15 ft from me. Boy was I lucky I was using BH 209 that day!!
Never have used that powder. Could you explain to me why it would react any differently than any other muzzle loading propellant? Not trying to start an argument here I really am just curious.Thanks
Old 11-10-2014, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by grinder67
Never have used that powder. Could you explain to me why it would react any differently than any other muzzle loading propellant? Not trying to start an argument here I really am just curious.Thanks
It takes some compression to fire. Unlike BP and all other subs.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

So the chemical make of BP, and similar subs are similar?

The chemical make of Blackhorn is very different than BP, and the other subs?
Old 11-10-2014, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never said BP and the subs were the same, except they'll fire with no compression. BH won't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.