Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
cleaning with windex? >

cleaning with windex?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cleaning with windex?

Old 10-13-2014, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default cleaning with windex?

i have read about this but never have had a step by step procedure for doing it. can anyone help me out with this? also how do you leave your barrel after cleaning and do you foul it with primers or power or anything?
Old 10-13-2014, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only use it at the range. I clean with it between shots. After I clean it I pop a couple caps to get rid of the fouling. here is a post I had posted before.
Here is my procedure to load.

I get to the range with a gun that has oil in the barrel.
I use a jag and push a dry patch down and pull it out.
I turn it over and push it down again and leave it there.
I use #11 mag caps. Put one on and fire it into the patch. I do this 2 or 3 times.
I pull the patch out and make sure it is burnt good.

It is ready to load. I pour the powder down and lean the rifle over with the lock down. I tap the rifle on the butt of the stock to get the grains of powder to settle into the nipple area. Then I finish loading.

OK between shots I clean the rifle.
I squirt some windex on a patch but not too much. I swab it, and repeat if I have to.
Then I put a dry one down and pull it out. Turn it over and push down again.
NOW!!! I Fire 2 or 3 caps again with the patch on the jag. look for this.

See how the patch catches this wet goo? Snap a couple more to make sure it is gone.

If so load again if not fire a couple more caps. I have seen sticky black thick stuff stuck on the bottom of the patch that would have fouled up the load if the patch had not caught it. I think firing caps into the patch makes a huge difference. Ron
Old 10-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

i clean the bores, nipples and breech plugs of my muzzleloaders with Windex with vinegar, now called Windex Multi-Purpose Cleaner. The stuff contains about three percent acetic acid.

Windex with vinegar neutralizes and dissolves the crud left from firing blackpowder, 777, Pyrodex and the APP made powders. The crud is alkaline in nature.

i swab at the range using Windex with vinegar. Before leaving the range the bore is swabbed with a patch wet with Windex with vinegar. When i get home the bore is again swabbed with a patch wet with the stuff. This is followed by dry patches. The bore is then swabbed with a patch moist with 3 in 1 oil or Militec 1.

Nothing cleans a breech plug as fast as Windex with vinegar. It dissolves the 777 crud ring too.

Windex with vinegar will not harm your gun. i use the stuff to clean my antique Winchesters after firing blackpowder loads.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kansas--do you buy this windex plus vinegar already mixed or do you add vinegar to the windex? I have both, so I was wondering how much to add. Thanks
Old 10-17-2014, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

I use window cleaner & alcohol mixed 50/50. Between shots, one MOIST patch followed by one dry patch. I usually do the same thing before the first shot of the day. At the end of the day, a couple WET patches of a regular household cleaner (409 et al), a couple dry patches, then a couple MOIST patches of the window cleaner/alcohol, a couple dry patches, the a light coating of oil.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

A can of brake cleaner will clean ANYTHING! Just make SURE you don't get it anywhere but IN the bore. If you do spill some, just wipe it off immediately & you'll likely have harmed nothing. Honestly you don't even need a soap & water bath at home if you can properly clean the bore, breech & lock/action with the brake cleaner. Just be sure & re-oil/lube the gun after using brake cleaner because it removes ALL lube, oil, grease etc...
Old 10-19-2014, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by kansaswiderack
i have read about this but never have had a step by step procedure for doing it. can anyone help me out with this? also how do you leave your barrel after cleaning and do you foul it with primers or power or anything?
It somewhat depends on which powder you might be shooting... especially when it comes to all the other subs and BH-209.

Regular blue Windex, IMO, is an excellent product for all subs. The small amount of Ammonia contained in Windex is an excellent metal stripper and as it evaporates it carries water with it. It is perfect for neutralizing the harmful aspects of powder residue.

Anyway I wrote this several weeks ago it might help you a little bit...

Every once in awhile I get asked 'how I clean the bore' - well today while cleaning the ULite I thought I would take the opportunity to show what I am doing.

Nothing 'earth shaking' but certainly easy and quick for me... And yet I know others probably have a method that is just as easy for them. This is just something that works for me and I have gotten pretty good at it...

One thing I fail to mention in the picture - The 'Weasel' has been lightly oiled with Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner - a very little bit of it goes a very long way...

I would also suggest do not use a bore oil in your bore that is a 'petroleum' product. Do not use a product in the bore that has 'Teflon' in the oil product. I would suggest using a 'good' synthetic bore oil like Montana X-Treme, Slip 2000, Eezox, or a number of other synthetic products

After this ready to go shoot again or store in the safe...
Old 10-19-2014, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mike........After you get to that last clean patch. Have you ever gone back with a Windex patch to see if you get any more fouling?
Old 10-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Mike........After you get to that last clean patch. Have you ever gone back with a Windex patch to see if you get any more fouling?
Yes, but no more fouling... and if I go back with a Windex I will also go back with a bore scrubber to make sure all the Windex moisture is out...

and always end up with Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner