Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Black Powder Search >

Black Powder Search

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Powder Search

Old 08-24-2014, 08:27 AM
Spike

Default Black Powder Search

I'm looking to buy a muzzleloader. I need some ideals on what brand to look into.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Try looking at these, here is CVA's total guns offered, just click on the gun you like and a full description will follow, if you find one you like check around, CVA prices kind of high.
http://www.cva.com/CVA-store.php?shop=Muzzleloaders#l

If you decide on a CVA gun and want to shoot BH 209, you will need one of these: http://www.cva.com/CVA-store.php?sho...eech%20Plugs#l

Whatever you get try a TEZ 250 or 290 grain Barnes Bullet, also a 44 Cal Hornady 300 grain XTP, with a harvester green crush rib sabot and a Hornady 250 grain sst/ml with a T/C superglide sabot (Yellow) works good in my gun, TEZ is the Best.

I would highly recommend using Blackhorn 209 Powder, You clean up with regular centerfire solvents and oil, otherwise you will have to use soap and water

If you get a CVA BH 209 Breech Plug you will need a 1/8" drill bit to clean the fire channel, use finger pressure only, wrap electrical tape around the shank until you can grip the bit. I have an Accura V2 the Original plug uses a .116 or a #32 drill bit, original plugs are more for Powder Pellets, which I would not recommend.

Whenever you decide what to buy post back and let us know what your setup is.

Also as stated below by Miketodd58 the CVA triggers are nice my accura V2 has an adjustable trigger, but I have never needed it.

Last edited by d.winsor; 08-24-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

90% of the hunters here will tell you to go out and look at a thompson center as they're heavily advertised and very popular.
i say once you do get out there to look at that thompson center tell the guy behind the counter to show you a CVA and hold the guns side by side. i bet you walk out with the CVA based on the crispness of the trigger, the nice fluid break in the action and the buttery smooth breach plug. for the money the CVA far superior in my experience.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

What sort of muzzleloading do you want to do?

Traditional sidelock, real black powder, open sights, round ball?

Modern inline, scope, sub black powder, modern bullets?

What game will you be hunting, and what state will you be hunting?

Your question is too vague. It's like asking.....I want a car. What should I buy?
Old 08-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

I just updated my kit after years of toting around a heavy Knight.

I went with the CVA Optima V2 and could not be happier. Nothing against Knight but my CVA In comparison is everything I ever dreamed I wanted in a Muzzleloader. Everything is better right down to the way it shoulders and points and I absolutely love the quick release breech plug. Between the White Hots and the foaming gel they sold me to clean it I can have this muzzleloader cleaned and stored in less than 10 min.

I got some of those Powerbelt bullets too. It's amazing how much easier they load than sabots and no swabbing In between shots. Things really have progressed in muzzleloading in the last 10 years.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Put my Pro Hunter in one hand, a CVA in the other. Then check the difference in triggers, lockup and hammers. You'll put the CVA back down.

I'm going to give you a recommendation that's "out of the box" and much different than a common production muzzleloader. Go find one of the new Remington Ultimate muzzleloader rifles. Everything most know about muzzleloaders, is significantly different. Put a Leupold VX2 atop it with the CDS dial and show the CVA and T/C shooters what long range muzzleloading is about.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is Remington still only recommending pellets in that new $900+ Ultimate? I would suggest brands/models that leave that option flexible since we dont know where he is hunting. Pellets are not allowed in some states during ML seasons.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-24-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:49 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by JohnnyHildo
i say once you do get out there to look at that thompson center tell the guy behind the counter to show you a CVA and hold the guns side by side. i bet you walk out with the CVA based on the crispness of the trigger, the nice fluid break in the action and the buttery smooth breach plug. for the money the CVA far superior in my experience.
Plus, the CVA's barrel is not undersized so you can load bullets much easier.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some of us know how to match the correct sabot to the bore. A Harvester crushrib usually takes care of a tight bore problem. MMP also makes a sabot just for tight bores and so does T/C.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-24-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Spike

Default Another vote for CVA

I love my CVA Accura V2. I did get the Western Powders breech plug for Blackhorn 209 powder. Another trick I learned here was to use Winchester W209 primers. They have a nice fit in the Accura and it stays a lot cleaner using that primer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.