Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Black Powder Search >

Black Powder Search

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Powder Search

Old 08-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by d.winsor
You are such a sweet talker, I bet you say that to all the girls, I can see right now that if you are the only one left on this thread it will be just more of the same, abuse. I know the OP will not get any suggestions from you related to muzzleloaders, I doubt very seriously that he is even tuned in anymore. So If it is ok with you I am going to take the door muley took and hope it doesn't hit me in the butt on the way out. Buy the way, I feel good about everything I said on this thread.
Nope, just to yahoos that don't know when they have lost the battle and keep on flapping their gums like you are! I don't doubt that last comment of yours a bit since your reading comprehension is about as poor as your trying to boss everyone around on this thread. Now if you really are out the door and don't respond any more, maybe things can get back on track without you chiming in and directing traffic, LOL! PS: The only reason Pete left was because of your continual BS when he was trying to help the OP and kept getting all that crappola from you! Bye Bye, Buy Bonds!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-25-2014 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did you happen to notice the exchange about the Remington Ultimate? A couple comments made back and forth and it was dropped.
Correct, i am not singling out CVA. Im still undecided about the new Rem Ultimate and open to a lively debate. I would like to know if the "Michigan" Ultimate shares the same flash channel/hole dimensions. RW claims its different and part of the reason the Rem Ult. is so much better. As far as i know, he has never owned one and well.....its Randy.

I have made up my mind about the LHR Redemption and besides the "carbine", i have no interest in them but i hope they improve.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-25-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Correct, i am not singling out CVA. Im still undecided about the new Rem Ultimate and open to a lively debate. I would like to know if the "Michigan" Ultimate shares the same flash channel/hole dimensions. RW claims its different and part of the reason the Rem Ult. is so much better. As far as i know, he has never owned one and well.....its Randy.

I have made up my mind about the LHR Redemption and besides the "carbine", i have no interest in them but i hope they improve.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the UF has a .041" flash hole, from the case to the breech face.

RW has never owned an UF rifle, but he said he shot one once. I can assure you though, RW will never be given one. I've asked RW so many questions about the RU and he just flat out refuses to answer and changes the subject. Then banned me from his FB page for asking legit quesions. There's always a reason for his not answering, when you're being given rifles or equipment to test why answer? Now weather RW is right or not, has yet to be determined. What I believe is, Remington has a lot of engineers with some good ones. If they didn't improve on the breech plug in some way, it must have been perfect in the first place.

I can't wait to see the reports that hunters/shooters have after they've shot and tuned the RU. I actually think that if someone wants to step out of the "normal box", it should turn out to be a great rifle for them. However, its going to take some time for shooters to learn some of the little "tricks" associated with the RU and I hope they do surface. I've had to learn most of the tricks with the UF rifle myself, or was told about them while visiting Ken. Other UF owners keep pretty quiet.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:59 PM
Spike

I would once again thank all who have been helpful with my search. I would like to add that I'm hunting in Arkansas, price range would be about $600 or so. I'm pretty much ignorant when it comes to muzzleloaders so I'm paying close attention to what u all are saying.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

holy crap guys. this thread has totally been hijacked by nonsense.
no the OP didn't specify what, where or how he plans to use this muzzleloader aside from being interested in using it to hunt deer... good enough for me.
i'm still going to recommend a cva optima to him as its what works for me and by the sounds of things a lot of other guys here too.
if he isn't looking for an inline rifle then so be it, the OP can disregard my recommendation.
now lets get back on topic!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Break Actions were very friendly to me. Had TC had a lightweight stainless steel fluted barrel break open design with a quick release breech plug I would have no doubt gone with TC but they simply did not have anything appealing to offer me.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:28 AM
Fork Horn

The new Redemption has received only passing mention in this thread. I've shot Knights for years and they are well made and with proper loads they are very accurate. I was impressed with the info on the Redemption and bought one a couple of month's back. I'm impressed. The unique breech plug with threads on tge exterior of the rifle is easy to remove and clean and they make one for loose powder and one for pellets. Both use 209 primers. There is a very complete review on another thread so I won't bore u with a repeat. So far it's lived up to its claims. As soon as it cools down a little from our 90+ temps I'll give it some serious range time. Cost wise its available in black for $519 and includes a scope base and fiberoptic sights u can install if u need them. Its worth looking over and its American made.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:51 AM
JW
Super Moderator

There are several posters who have gone off topic offer nothing as far as advice but are happy to bash. Only warning I will give.

Please stay on topic and stop the bashing.

Dave....JW
Old 08-26-2014, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

It looks like Arkansas is not very restrictive on what you can use for a muzzleloader if the site I looked at was current. Ones that I have experience with....

Traditions Buckhunter: older plunger style with 209 primer ignition which can also use no. 11 caps if converted over (orginally purchased with no.11 cap setup), very dirty when shooting and lots of blowback, adjustable trigger, can purchase very cheap, IMO the older Traditions rifles were made better than the newer ones, My ex-Pursuit XLT didn't hold up very well

TC Triumph: 209 ignition, mid priced, lightweight, great camo finish and weathershield coating that looks the same as the day purchased and this rifle has seen it all, no blowback, good trigger, breechplug is somewhat expensive to replace

CVA Apex: all stainless steel, heaviest of my rifles, I believe the most expensive of the CVA line, 209 ignition, no blowback, interchangeable rifle barrels, after market hinge pins available to tighten up the action if needed (mine has 2X hinge pin installed), stainless steel finish excellent, camo finish is wearing off where my hands/gloves rub on it, excellent adjustable trigger, aftermarket breechplug can be purchased for loose powder shooting

TC Impact: 209 igntion, no blow back, least expensive of the TC line, for kids or adults with an adjustable butt stock, great camo finish that holds up to chemicals, weathershield coating holding up great, good trigger

Knight Disc Elite 45 cal: 209 ignition, can purchase aftermarket breech plug to eliminate red discs and use only bare primer which in mine has no blowback, good adjustable trigger, scope only rifle with no drilled holes for rifle sights

Rifles listed in order of acquiring them. If I listed them according to what I feel is better quality-different order, easiet to clean-different order, etc. All have they own pros and cons but I like all of them for what they offer me. I can grab anyone of them and feel confident that they will hit the mark if I do my part.

Last edited by BuckDoeHunter; 08-26-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Foxtrot13,

Good luck with your search. Be sure to come back and let us know what you choose for your first ML. I hope you come to enjoy ML shooting and hunting as much as the rest of us!

BPS